Sign in to follow this  
Black_69_FB

Axle upgrade - double check

I'm getting geared up to upgrade to 31 spline axles & trac-lok center section. I have the axles, and the 3rd member should be here hopefully by next weekend.

I think I have most everything I'm going to need, but I've never done this before and was hoping someone who had could double-check me & make sure I don't forget anything.

For instance, isn't there a gasket to go between the retainers & the brake backing plate? I know I'll need the gasket to seal the center section case to the housing, any recommendation there?

Here's what I have so far (see attachment).

Plus if anybody has a recommendation for what oil to use and/or friction modifier, I need to grab some of that as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have just replaced my rear seals and bearings on my 28 spline and from the pic you have everything but the third member gasket. My retainer plate did not have the cutout like yours but has a gasket similar to the one in your pics. Also make sure you use copper washers on your 3rd member bolts or it will leak like mine did. :lol:

Edited by Lemon Owner

Ford friction modifier - check.

Valvoline 75w90 - check (recommended by diff. builder).

Housing-to-case gasket (fel-pro 3202) - check.

Backing plate to retainer gasket (fel-pro 4828) - check.

Copper washers! - check.

I think that's all that's left to get. Thanks for the replies, guys :)

You might end up having to remove that outer rubber o-ring from those wheel bearings. Mine were the same as yours and wouldn't go into the axle housing. I have had to use a thin film of silicone gasket sealer on both sides of the housing-to-case gasket to prevent leaks. And you will need use of a hydraulic press to install the bearings on the axles.

I have the same Moser axle setup you have so before you install the axle seals make certain they are correct for you axles. The OEM 31 spline axle seals have a larger I.D. because the OEM 31 spline axles use a sleeve pressed onto the axle where the seal rides. If your seals are too large for the axles you need to simply get seals for 28 spline axles. Also, use a grade 8 flat washer under each nut that holds on the axle retainer plates. Simply because the nuts don't cover the slotted holes in those retainers very well.

Edited by 1969 Mach1

You might end up having to remove that outer rubber o-ring from those wheel bearings. Mine were the same as yours and wouldn't go into the axle housing.

I'll keep an eye out for that. I saw elsewhere on the internet where someone who has installed a lot of these Moser bearings said to toss the o-rings & you should be OK with the factory type seals.

I have had to use a thin film of silicone gasket sealer on both sides of the housing-to-case gasket to prevent leaks

The guy who built the 3rd member assembly recommended specifically using the gasket I quoted above, as it should not need additional sealer. But I'm leaning toward using it anyway because it's too easy & I don't want to have to pull it again any time soon.

And you will need use of a hydraulic press to install the bearings on the axles.

Not a problem, I'll be working with a local shop as my single-car garage is too small to work in comfortably. I don't think I could even get the axles pulled in there (not wide enough) :lol:

I have the same Moser axle setup you have so before you install the axle seals make certain they are correct for you axles. The OEM 31 spline axle seals have a larger I.D. because the OEM 31 spline axles use a sleeve pressed onto the axle where the seal rides. If your seals are too large for the axles you need to simply get seals for 28 spline axles.

Hmmm... you made me double-check myself there. I did a quick test fit, all is good.

Also, use a grade 8 flat washer under each nut that holds on the axle retainer plates. Simply because the nuts don't cover the slotted holes in those retainers very well.

Thanks for the heads up, will do.

Take some pictures of your progress so that others as well as me can see how it's done. I have a 28 spline 9 inch that I will be rebuilding.

Thanks John

John, I don't know if I will be able to.

I bought the 3rd member pre-assembled (thought it would be best in my case to leave it to someone who actually knows what they are doing), and I am working with a local shop to get my old one out & the new one in. I work second shift so it depends mostly on their schedule whether I will even be there to help with much of it.

I am hoping my part consists of mainly doing a few figure 8's to help break in the clutches & driving the car to heat cycle the gears :)

I did find a couple of links that might be helpful as far as disassembly/reassembly:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1049589-9-inch-oil-change-pics.html

http://broncograveyard.com/dia/7/fo9dia.jpg

The second link is to a pic of an exploded view of the Ford 9".

i found it frustrating because i struggled to get the correct axle bearings that fit the moser axles and the rear end i had. i don't remember why i struggled so much with it.

Maybe someone who actually knows for sure can correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was trying to research this on the internet, I got the impression that the stock Ford 31 spline axle, for the small-bearing housings used in the Mustang, used the same bearing that the 28 spline axle does. Whereas some aftermarket axles were a bit beefier & needed a conversion bearing with a larger I.D. to fit them in a small bearing housing.

In my case I used the 'direct fit' replacement axle from Superior through Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAG-PA6070C/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAG-PA6070D/

So hopefully I am good with a stock style small bearing. If not, I'll be finding out in a couple of days :oops:

good luck.

Thanks - I'll need it!

Oh yea, don't forget to put a little silicone on the outside of the axel seals when you put them in the housing. Between the axel housing and the seals.

Lem, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a great idea.

Well, we got the car up on a lift this morning & got the disassebly done. Looked like crude oil in there, black & thick. Probably what it rolled off the line with in the fall of '68 :blink:

Will try to get everything back together tomorrow. Hopefully this kills the vibration I've been trying to track down too.

Bumping for a quick update which may save someone a headache in the future.

We ran into a problem during reassembly. Got the axles in & tightened down the retainers... and the axles would not spin. :no:

Loosen the retainer, and it would spin OK.

Got to looking at the axle bearings, and the digital calipers showed that the Moser bearing was 29/32" thick, compared to the stock bearing's 27/32". The flat Moser retainers combined with the extra thickness of the bearing caused a bind in my case. I had to get the bearings cut off, and put some stock-style bearings from the local auto parts store on there to fix the problem.

that just jogged my memory. i remember measuring the press ring and the bearing and thought it was too close for comfort (i.e. too wide). i have two sets of bearings and press rings that i didn't use due to issues like that. i ended up just getting a set of timken's from the local autozone.

If my memory serves me correctly my retainer plates have a raised inner section to clear the center of the bearing when tightened. Did you use the factory retainers or the ones purchased in your kit, that may have been the issue.

I used the Mosers. I left the original retainers on the old 28 spline axles because I had them & the old peg-leg center section sold. I know what you are saying though, the stock retainers have just a little bit of a 'bowl' to them & I wondered if I would have had the binding issue if I had used them instead.

What I thought was a bit off is, I used Moser bearings & retainers... seems like they would work, or have some warning not to use them together.

Anyway, it's done now. Got about 15 miles in on the new gears before work today. Followed the 3rd member builder's advice & drove around town for about 10 minutes, and then parked it for a bit. Drove it for about 20 minutes & parked it again.

Now I just have to be good & take it easy on the gears for about 485 more miles :angel:

I didn't have any issues with my Moser 31 spline axles. It was several years ago but the my axles, bearings, and retainer plate setup are identical to yours. I can understand where the bearing retainer ring that presses onto the axle might bind up on the axle seal if the axle seal is not pressed completely into the housing.