Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Wheel backspacing

What wheel backspacing do I need for a 69 Mustang with factory front disc brakes and rear drums?

I got my car off the truck today and one tire has a cut valve stem and all four are dry rotted. I want to see if I can buy a set of tires and wheels from craigslist to hold me over until I can afford Magnum 500s

Thanks,

Found a set of 14" tires I could use

2 are 225/70

2 are 215/60

Would these fit on the stock 14" steel wheels without any clearance problems?

FYI: According to the chart I have for BFGoodrich Radial T/A,s the 225/70's are a little more that TWO INCHES TALLER than the 215/60.s

You did not mention the width of your 14 inch rims. Be careful with that, some wide profile tires would not work on a 5 inch wide rim. Verify this on new tires.

Your original question was about wheel backspacing also. I do not think you need to be concerned with this, because this is generally needed only to allow the wheel to fit the brake assembly, the tire has no impact on backspacing.

Texas

I have a set of the styled steel wheels that I can male you a deal on. I will work on getting some pics if you are intersted. Its just the wheels, no tires.

Let me know

Thanks

Yes, I'm interested, what size, style and price are they?

You did not mention the width of your 14 inch rims. Be careful with that, some wide profile tires would not work on a 5 inch wide rim. Verify this on new tires.

Your original question was about wheel backspacing also. I do not think you need to be concerned with this, because this is generally needed only to allow the wheel to fit the brake assembly, the tire has no impact on backspacing.

I think my current steel wheels are 6" wide, but not positive. The current tires are 205s and a set of tires I'm looking at are 215 front and 225 rear.

The backspace question is because I have a choice to buy 14" tires for my current steelies & hub caps or to buy a set of late model wheels with tires mounted on them and add the spacer to make them fit.

OK, I understand. Doublecheck the width of your wheel and that the 225 will work on it before completing the purchase.

As for the backspacing, again, check on it. It might not be necessary depending on your new wheels.

Good luck