Sign in to follow this  
six_sigma

Granada Brake Conversion

Hey guys,

I've been looking into disc brake conversion options for my 'vert and I came a cross a Granada spindle set with zinc coated slotted and drilled rotors calipers and pads for $275.

Thoughts... great deal go for it... run away...

All input appreciated.

It sounds reasonable assuming this is the price for both sides. You will also need hoses and possibly master cylinder and disti block. The rotors as they were from the factory are under $40 each aftermarket, and the pads are cheaper.

The calipers in that year were huge, massive parts. I have a Granada setup at home that I have not installed, and I bet each side wieghts 70 pounds. So shipping will be a few bucks and also need to be considered.

Assuming reasonable shipping I say go for it.

I done that conversion 20 odd years ago, it made a heck of good upgrade. I was adjusting front drums brakes probably weekly on the daily driver to get it stop evenly. The Granada brakes are supposedly a little different geometry, some claim to negatively. I say my 68 is much much safer with the Granada geometry/brakes. I did have to add an adjustable differential valve to keep the rear from locking up first. Not many upgrades for these rides will come that cheap. Have fun!!!

this was the first mod i've ever done when i got my hands on my car, good conversion saved me a couple of times when i was young and reckless. Now i got a new motor with some mods so I had to upgrade to vintage venoms brake conversion kit, I haven't installed them yet but looking forward to difference of braking power.

The Granada swap is very good.

I performed this swap installing all new parts. Im not really happy with the results. Let me know how you feel about it when your done. The brakes are much better then stock 4 wheel drum. They are not near current car brakes. I was hoping for some brakes the were more touchy then these are. You still have to press on the pedal pretty hard to get it to stop. I used new everything. I did use a 69 Mustang disc brake master cylinder. I know others have used other ones. Ideas?

ed

I performed this swap installing all new parts. Im not really happy with the results. Let me know how you feel about it when your done. The brakes are much better then stock 4 wheel drum. They are not near current car brakes. I was hoping for some brakes the were more touchy then these are. You still have to press on the pedal pretty hard to get it to stop. I used new everything. I did use a 69 Mustang disc brake master cylinder. I know others have used other ones. Ideas?

ed

I started the swap with a booster from the granada and it was way to touchy, the brakes would lock up too early. I ended up with non power granada master cylinder. I have perfect dependable just right brakes, still after 20+ years. I don't think he will regret the swap, unless he wants to do track time or something abusive.

ed

Stangracr,

It sounds like you need a smaller diameter master cylinder. It doesn't take much to make a difference, so try one that is just 1/16" smaller.

As for shelbyshelby, the way too touchy/lock up too early problem is most likely because you had the pushrod in the booster adjusted too far out such that it was contacting the piston in the MC before you even stepped on the brakes. There should be about 1/8" gap between the pushrod and the piston at rest.

I used granada everything but I did install 69 Mustang power brake booster and master for a disc brake car. Not sure what the bore size is for a stock mustang power brake master with disc. I also installed a power brake pedal from a 69 Mustang

ed