Sign in to follow this  
Nightowl

Dash wire harness for 1969 Mustang Fastback.

Does anyone know of some places that sell these new? I have looked at the PAINLESS type, and I want to replace it all with new, but asking some of these auto parts places about their products, I am getting to feel like they don't know, or else they don't understand what I am looking for. Some places show them all in one piece, and some say you have to put them together. I am not going to install this, but the mechanic that is wants to beable to get it right. Prices are all over the place even for the harnesses that have the same number. My car is a 1969 mustang Fastback. I have owned it since 1973. Being a kid back then, you did what you had to do to make add ons work. Thanks

Richard

Time for me to give a little back to this forum. I had the same questions/ concerns for when I was looking for a new wiring harness for my 69 Coupe. I did some research, reached out and found that American Auto Wire was a great alternative to Painless. I did not however purchase from AAW. I did a search on the internet and found a brand new kit for $525 with free delivery. The name of the company escapes me right now but it was delivered directly from AAW. Nice quality. Have not installed it yet. Here is a link to start - http://www.americanautowire.com/

I agree with TexasEd, the original is the best and easiest way to go. Midlife seems to do good work for a reasonable price. I can imagine the headache of trying o get some "modified generic" harness from AAW to work. the original is just plug and go.

If you are keeping the car fairly stock, then go with a refurbished harness like from Midlife. There are new underdash harnesses available, which NPD sells but they are pricey at $1000. If you are going for a custom car with lots of add ons that require a bunch of new circuit/fuses, then a AAW harness is the way to go but is definitely not "plug and play"

Keep in mind, if you are buying a harness that there are many different versions depending on what your car came with. If you have the original and have Midlife restore it, then you shouldn't have any issues assuming it was the original harness.

I did look at the AAW site before, and showed it to the mechanic, but he wasn't really to thrilled about it. I did call Dallas Mustangs, or something to that name, as they showd a complete wiring harness, so we thought we would go that way. When I called them, it was a different story. I guess they use the same picture for all harnesses. He had a couple of different types to choose from, but he said the picture is not of the harness. He said it must be put together, so the mechanic said he could do the same thing with spools of wire. I guess I just am not sure what to think. So if I understand this right, you send the harness to midlife, and they try to restore it, send it back, and you put it back into the car. You still have 40 year old wiring if I understood their webpage. I also live in Minnesota, and was hoping to find a company here, but I don't think there are any. One thing that bothers me, is why do many parts catalouges skip over the 69 and 70 years? Also, I put a soop on the hood, cut out the space, and ordered a wiring harness for the signals in the scoop. I can't seem to find where these are suppose to plug in at the firewall maybe? I usually deal with MAC'S out of New York, but I am willing to try other places. Maybe some one or everyone could let me know who they go thru. All of the work was done when I was a kid, and the car basically has been in storage from 1977. It has a little over 60,000 miles on it, and anyone who is from the North knows what a toll the winters took on these cars.

Richard

Mansfield Mustang has new reproduction under dash harnesses for 725.00. I have talked to Bill numerous times and he is a great guy. If your original harness is not hacked up, then send it to Midlife and let them tear it apart, clean all your connections, and make any repairs necessary. Like you said the car has been stored for 35 years. It may have rat/mouse damage, but it can still handle the loads it was designed for. Bruce

Very few of the 69/70 cars on the road have brand new or custom harnesses and they are working just fine with 40yr old wiring. Midlife has connectors for most all on our harnesses, in case some of yours have been cut or hacked. I would only buy a new harness if my budget was endless and wanted all parts brand new.

As far as your Hood Scoop Wiring there are TWO harnesses needed on a '69. You probably have just the harness for AT THE SCOOP. You also need the harness that this plugs into which goes to the front of the car and plugs in between the two turn signal plugs in the main headlamp harness and the turn signals.

You can find it anywhere that sells "AlloyMetal Products" harnesses, but here it is at CJ Pony:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/HOOD-MOUNTED-TURN-SIGNAL-FEED-WIRE-1969/p/WHD3/

I agree with everyone here. If you plan on keeping the car basically stock electrical wise, send your existing harness in to Midlife.

Provided your dash whole dash has not been removed numerous times in the past disturbing this harness each time (or you've had mice chewing on it) the underdash harness sees the least abuse of all three main harnesses in the car and is restorable using the orginal wires. If BAD or questionable wires are found in your harness, Midlife will replace them during the resto.

Doug

I live in Minneapolis, and if it would help I could take a look at it if you live close by. I also have the factory scoop and know how it connects. Minnesota salt can be harmful to wires, it oxidizes the copper and turns it green. This is typically much worse in a coastal area with salt spray in the air all the time, though. If the car has been sitting for a long time, it is probably alright. Let me know if you want me to look at what you have. Danno

Richard, I live in Minneapolis and if you are close by, I could take a look at it. The odds are the wires you have are fine. Oxidation of the copper wires in Minnesota is not that bad of a problem. Where it is worse is on coastal areas with a lot of salt spray in the air. I also have the factory hood scoop and could show you how that connects.

Richard, I live in Minneapolis and could take a look at what you have if it would help. I also have a factory hood scoop and you could see how mine works.

Your inside harness is probably fine, especially since the car has been sitting for so long.

Richard, I live in Minneapolis and could take a look at what you have if you are close by. I am an electronics engineer, so wiring and electrical issues are generally easy for me. I also have the hood scoop, so you could see how that is supposed to work.

You can see from my previous responses that something was wrong with my replies. None were being displayed so I could see them, so I kept on repeating my answers. I do not know what the problem is, but now it seems to work. Maybe?

No problem here. All your replies came thru.:cowboy: I am about 100 miles from you to the south down around the Rochester area. I think I am just going for a new one. There are bare wires, mouse damage and the sort. I am going to hookup with Midlife and see what they can do, or can't do. I called yesterday, but just got an answering machine. Maybe those hurricanes might have made some problems for them down there.

Richard

I do not know what the problem was. Generally, right after I make a reply, I can see it in the thread. With all my replies I was not seeing them, so I did not think anyone was home...

I will see if this one works.

Possibly. Back on topic, the Alloy Metal headlight harness for the 69-70 models is a very good quality product. I put one in my car for my 70. It has the sportlamp plugs and wire colors are correct. This harness pugs into the firewall and feeds the lights, washer pump, etc.