Sign in to follow this  
Wycked69

69 wheel house questions ???

I have not really posted much here so I'm kind of a newbie

Calling all you guys with the "been there / done that" experiance with the replacing of wheel houses.

I'm helping my brother with his 69 Mach I. We have replaced the entire front clip, firewall, and full floor pan. Now we are moving to the back section. My brother is a perfectionist at everyhting he does and he indicates we will be replacing rear quarters, wheel houses, and trunk floors with drop off's.

I have heard guys complain they wished they would have used 2-pc wheel housings instead of fully assembled wheel housings and yet vice versus. I've also heard complaints about getting the outer wheel housing lip to fit the quarter well lip.

Here's my question(s)

1- Do you recommend using the 2-pc or 1-pc assembled wheel houses and why?

2- What supplier /mfgr provided (has) the best fitting wheelhouses (Good Mark, Dynacorn, NPD etc. ?

Not looking for the best value and willing to spend the money for good parts. I have done 3 cars and have some good experiance with sheetmetal and fit so I know ALL parts need to be massaged and formed to fit. However, I have only repaired wheel houses with patch panels / sheet metal and not replaced them.

I would appreciate any good feedback / opinions from those with first hand experiance (good or bad) as to what to pay close attention to and what to expect.

Thanks in advance !

I have not really posted much here so I'm kind of a newbie

Calling all you guys with the "been there / done that" experiance with the replacing of wheel houses.

I'm helping my brother with his 69 Mach I. We have replaced the entire front clip, firewall, and full floor pan. Now we are moving to the back section. My brother is a perfectionist at everyhting he does and he indicates we will be replacing rear quarters, wheel houses, and trunk floors with drop off's.

I have heard guys complain they wished they would have used 2-pc wheel housings instead of fully assembled wheel housings and yet vice versus. I've also heard complaints about getting the outer wheel housing lip to fit the quarter well lip.

Here's my question(s)

1- Do you recommend using the 2-pc or 1-pc assembled wheel houses and why?

2- What supplier /mfgr provided (has) the best fitting wheelhouses (Good Mark, Dynacorn, NPD etc. ?

Not looking for the best value and willing to spend the money for good parts. I have done 3 cars and have some good experiance with sheetmetal and fit so I know ALL parts need to be massaged and formed to fit. However, I have only repaired wheel houses with patch panels / sheet metal and not replaced them.

I would appreciate any good feedback / opinions from those with first hand experiance (good or bad) as to what to pay close attention to and what to expect.

Thanks in advance !

I am in the middle of a full quarter + outer wheelhouse at the moment. The first thing that makes replacing just the outer more time consuming is the fact that they have a continous roll weld to deal with, second it is samwitched between a sail panel brace and will require you to drill spot welds from both the fron side as well as the front side (quarter panel). Even if you replaced the complete wheel house you would have to do the same. The additional work comes from a dozen welds at the inner + a few brackets at the rear seat area. My inner only needs a small patch near the front. I found he extra work to not really be worth it.

I have heard that the quarter lip to wheel well lip is not that great when it comes to the reproduction stuff. When I began mine quarter removal I found about a 1/2 inch gap around the top section that was not even spot welded together because they were so far apart.

I'm using a Dyancorn full quarter and NOS outer wheelhouse, I also have a reproduction wheelhouse that I may use depending on which one fits best.

I am in the middle of a full quarter + outer wheelhouse at the moment. The first thing that makes replacing just the outer more time consuming is the fact that they have a continous roll weld to deal with, second it is samwitched between a sail panel brace and will require you to drill spot welds from both the fron side as well as the front side (quarter panel). Even if you replaced the complete wheel house you would have to do the same. The additional work comes from a dozen welds at the inner + a few brackets at the rear seat area. My inner only needs a small patch near the front. I found he extra work to not really be worth it.

I have heard that the quarter lip to wheel well lip is not that great when it comes to the reproduction stuff. When I began mine quarter removal I found about a 1/2 inch gap around the top section that was not even spot welded together because they were so far apart.

I'm using a Dyancorn full quarter and NOS outer wheelhouse, I also have a reproduction wheelhouse that I may use depending on which one fits best.

I found the outer on Ebay, they are one there pretty often, I think I paid about $200.00 for the pair. I did the initial fit of repro and NOS minus the quarter last night, I will try to fit up the quarter tonight. Check out BuckeyeDemon under the Project Progress section,he has a thread and a photobucket with lots of good pics.

I found the outer on Ebay, they are one there pretty often, I think I paid about $200.00 for the pair. I did the initial fit of repro and NOS minus the quarter last night, I will try to fit up the quarter tonight. Check out BuckeyeDemon under the Project Progress section,he has a thread and a photobucket with lots of good pics.

Mached up the quarter and NOS outside wheelhouse together and found the fit to be most impressive.. The gap that I had at the arch of the wheel opening that was present from the assembly line is gone as well. When aligning the factory locating holes to the inner house the radius of the outer matched the inner perfect. With the Repro I would of had to spot weld the front in a few spots and then pull the rear section to widen it. I would of had the same 1/2 inch gap between the lip as well. NOS wins again !!!! In fact the full quarter needs almost nothing to make it fit perfectly