Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Melting Disc Brake Parts

Noticed a rattle in the front end of my 1970 Mustang. When I pulled the front wheel I found the rubber insulator for the caliper locator pin had melted enough for it to fall out. Therefore caliper flex would cause the locator pin to rattle. This was on the driver side, but all four insulators showed signs of damage. These insulators have been in the car for well over 20 years. Sorry, no picture, my camera died a while back and no money to replace it. I have provided a link to the NPD catalog which gives an explored view of the front disc brakes if you don't know what I am talking about or having trouble visualizing it.

My question is, why did this happened? I never felt any drag, or any other sign of a sticking caliper. The car has not been driven hard. Normal wear and tear, or first sign of a major problem?

http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=mii11flx&from=2

Noticed a rattle in the front end of my 1970 Mustang. When I pulled the front wheel I found the rubber insulator for the caliper locator pin had melted enough for it to fall out. Therefore caliper flex would cause the locator pin to rattle. This was on the driver side, but all four insulators showed signs of damage. These insulators have been in the car for well over 20 years. Sorry, no picture, my camera died a while back and no money to replace it. I have provided a link to the NPD catalog which gives an explored view of the front disc brakes if you don't know what I am talking about or having trouble visualizing it.

My question is, why did this happened? I never felt any drag, or any other sign of a sticking caliper. The car has not been driven hard. Normal wear and tear, or first sign of a major problem?

http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=mii11flx&from=2

I'll agree ... it probably was just "age".

Mine were not rattling, but the rubber insulators were sticking to the pins and fell apart when I took my 1969 disc brakes apart recently. Brakes had last been done in the mid-80's and probably less than 20-30k miles as the pads have quite a bit of life left. Never seen this on a daily driver so definitely was not HEAT, just OLD AGE !!

Doug

I'll agree ... it probably was just "age".

Mine were not rattling, but the rubber insulators were sticking to the pins and fell apart when I took my 1969 disc brakes apart recently. Brakes had last been done in the mid-80's and probably less than 20-30k miles as the pads have quite a bit of life left. Never seen this on a daily driver so definitely was not HEAT, just OLD AGE !!

Doug