Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

suspension and brakes

I wanted to know what my options are. I have a coupe that I have had for several years and it needs a lot of work. I don't have a lot of money to spend but would like to know what I should do with the restoration. It is a 302 2v, man drum brakes, ps car. Everything is shot with the brakes, steering, suspension and the shock towers. I am not that skilled mechanically but I can do a few things myself. Any advice would be helpful on parts or kits that I could use.

I wanted to know what my options are. I have a coupe that I have had for several years and it needs a lot of work. I don't have a lot of money to spend but would like to know what I should do with the restoration. It is a 302 2v, man drum brakes, ps car. Everything is shot with the brakes, steering, suspension and the shock towers. I am not that skilled mechanically but I can do a few things myself. Any advice would be helpful on parts or kits that I could use.

Replacing the stock brakes and lower control arms is not terribly difficult or expensive. For the brakes, replace everything in the wheels - springs, wheel cylinders, drums, all of it. Inspect your brake lines and master cylinder to see if they need it too. You might be able to buy it at your local auto parts store; if not, all the Mustang parts vendors sell it.

Lower control arms and new shocks can be replaced on a weekend. Steering box is more involved, save it till later.

The scary part is you say your shock towers are shot. This involves pulling your engine and welding in the repair. It's a well-documented repair but a lot of work. You'll probably need some help here.

Post questions, the folks here are a lot smarter than me and can talk you thru any repair you're attempting.

Replacing the stock brakes and lower control arms is not terribly difficult or expensive. For the brakes, replace everything in the wheels - springs, wheel cylinders, drums, all of it. Inspect your brake lines and master cylinder to see if they need it too. You might be able to buy it at your local auto parts store; if not, all the Mustang parts vendors sell it.

Lower control arms and new shocks can be replaced on a weekend. Steering box is more involved, save it till later.

The scary part is you say your shock towers are shot. This involves pulling your engine and welding in the repair. It's a well-documented repair but a lot of work. You'll probably need some help here.

Post questions, the folks here are a lot smarter than me and can talk you thru any repair you're attempting.

Thanks. I do not know a lot about this stuff and will have to pay for most of the work. i can do some of the bolt on stuff. This may be a dumb question but is there anyway or some kind of kit that does not use the shock towers.

Thanks. I do not know a lot about this stuff and will have to pay for most of the work. i can do some of the bolt on stuff. This may be a dumb question but is there anyway or some kind of kit that does not use the shock towers.

There's no dumb questions. The shock towers are important to the structural integrity of the car, so bad ones are a safety hazard. They do make kits these days that take advantage of new technology that allow you to remove the shock towers but they are quite expensive. Repair is probably a better option for us regular folks with a limited budget.

There's no dumb questions. The shock towers are important to the structural integrity of the car, so bad ones are a safety hazard. They do make kits these days that take advantage of new technology that allow you to remove the shock towers but they are quite expensive. Repair is probably a better option for us regular folks with a limited budget.

Can you tell me what quite expensive is. I would like to upgrade the suspension, steering and brakes so I am going to spend quite a bit anyway. Is there anything that combines all of these components? It has been sitting for 15 years and this site may be it's only hope so keep that in mind when giving me a price. I'm not too concerned with keeping it original. It's not rare so that's not too important. What kind of money either way?

Can you tell me what quite expensive is. I would like to upgrade the suspension, steering and brakes so I am going to spend quite a bit anyway. Is there anything that combines all of these components? It has been sitting for 15 years and this site may be it's only hope so keep that in mind when giving me a price. I'm not too concerned with keeping it original. It's not rare so that's not too important. What kind of money either way?

My car has been sitting for a long time, about an hour away from my house so I'm not sure if the actual towers are bad. I saw that the shock tower cover had some damage (hole and rust) and assumed the towers were bad also. They may be fine but will have to look a little better. I didn't know that the covers and towers were separate. This site is great because I am not an expert on any of this stuff and some good advice so far. As far as the updates just wanted to upgrade while the front suspension is off the car (I took it apart years ago like an idiot and never got it back together) and wanted to know some reasonably priced and effective upgrade. I would like to do the power disc conv. and rack conv. but money is tight. Any suggestion is appreciated. Remember I am not skilled like most everybody else on here but I am willing to learn.

My car has been sitting for a long time, about an hour away from my house so I'm not sure if the actual towers are bad. I saw that the shock tower cover had some damage (hole and rust) and assumed the towers were bad also. They may be fine but will have to look a little better. I didn't know that the covers and towers were separate. This site is great because I am not an expert on any of this stuff and some good advice so far. As far as the updates just wanted to upgrade while the front suspension is off the car (I took it apart years ago like an idiot and never got it back together) and wanted to know some reasonably priced and effective upgrade. I would like to do the power disc conv. and rack conv. but money is tight. Any suggestion is appreciated. Remember I am not skilled like most everybody else on here but I am willing to learn.

If the Shock Towers are good then I would just look to do the bolt on stuff as replacing those is pretty involved and not an easy task. The Covers can be replaced as a bolt on item. As for the other stuff there are plenty of options for the brake upgrade and steering upgrade. Depending if you have original disk brakes or drum would depend on what kit you buy, but there are kits for both. Same for the conversion to Power Brakes as well. Many options available and vary in price.

If the Shock Towers are good then I would just look to do the bolt on stuff as replacing those is pretty involved and not an easy task. The Covers can be replaced as a bolt on item. As for the other stuff there are plenty of options for the brake upgrade and steering upgrade. Depending if you have original disk brakes or drum would depend on what kit you buy, but there are kits for both. Same for the conversion to Power Brakes as well. Many options available and vary in price.

Lots of opinions on susp and brakes so I dont want to get into that.

However the following is called the shock tower cap, and as other has said it is a bolt on which is really a shock mount.

EqzK1RGX28_JJ_Dlupsc8H1md9ZAcIGK5XguoxG_oMuzjng-tqva6cGczvkx1CYmsbvEjJarIK-BEu_iMWnZkqdV4jI8pSm92-XZvtUHtGXE0eo0Wd1hPLhbDDxJnrkL8PxxjA3o6ugUnedo4qU1M91Vj6D5kEz1blAoGA9s2_8cv5qf-peQUJAPEjmUFF8YTlARIqmCNvZ8xjMTSqtKof7my45AQQV2cH1D6g1vejP6Rg=s90-c

If this has a rust hole I am sure your tower has some issues as well.

The bottom side of the top of the tower, also has a spot welded spring mount of a fairly heavy gauge material.

Lots of opinions on susp and brakes so I dont want to get into that.

However the following is called the shock tower cap, and as other has said it is a bolt on which is really a shock mount.

EqzK1RGX28_JJ_Dlupsc8H1md9ZAcIGK5XguoxG_oMuzjng-tqva6cGczvkx1CYmsbvEjJarIK-BEu_iMWnZkqdV4jI8pSm92-XZvtUHtGXE0eo0Wd1hPLhbDDxJnrkL8PxxjA3o6ugUnedo4qU1M91Vj6D5kEz1blAoGA9s2_8cv5qf-peQUJAPEjmUFF8YTlARIqmCNvZ8xjMTSqtKof7my45AQQV2cH1D6g1vejP6Rg=s90-c

If this has a rust hole I am sure your tower has some issues as well.

The bottom side of the top of the tower, also has a spot welded spring mount of a fairly heavy gauge material.

Here is some information on improving the stock suspension with light modifications that I posted in your introduction thread.

http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101

Look into the suspension mods there to see if that sounds like what you would want, it is what I'm most likely to do. The other types of suspension mods usually involve a coil-over shock upgrade kit that can be several thousand dollars each to do for the front and back.

The upgrades I'm looking at for my 1969 302-2v Sports roof will be right at $1250 for:

new springs on all four corners,

upgrades to the spring perches,

lower control arm,

adjustable strut rods,

"Shelby" or UCA drop,

new shocks and a

sway bar.

In addition I'll add an export brace, subframe connectors and a Monte Carlo bar for another ~$240

I think I can do all this in a month of Saturdays with the help of a friend or two.

I haven't had a chance to look at what the brakes are like yet but it is equipped with factory power disc. I hope to just be able to rebuild what is there.

Here is some information on improving the stock suspension with light modifications that I posted in your introduction thread.

http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101

Look into the suspension mods there to see if that sounds like what you would want, it is what I'm most likely to do. The other types of suspension mods usually involve a coil-over shock upgrade kit that can be several thousand dollars each to do for the front and back.

The upgrades I'm looking at for my 1969 302-2v Sports roof will be right at $1250 for:

new springs on all four corners,

upgrades to the spring perches,

lower control arm,

adjustable strut rods,

"Shelby" or UCA drop,

new shocks and a

sway bar.

In addition I'll add an export brace, subframe connectors and a Monte Carlo bar for another ~$240

I think I can do all this in a month of Saturdays with the help of a friend or two.

I haven't had a chance to look at what the brakes are like yet but it is equipped with factory power disc. I hope to just be able to rebuild what is there.