Sign in to follow this  
tkdkelly

69 Mustang Headliner

I bought another 69 and have begun the restoration process. I have a totally gutted interior so I have a clean slate to start with. There was only on place on the floor pan I need to replace and now I am starting my interior rebuild. There was no headliner, so this means no bows. I bought a kit to replace the headliner, it came with everything BUT the bows. I bought a set on Ebay, and started the installation..... WELLLLL all of the bows fit except the front number one and two. they are lose and will not stay up by themsleves. The bows I bought were not color coded, is there any way to tell if I have the correct set? Also is the any way to fix the front two so they will stay tight?

All 69 fastbacks only use four bows, right? but they need specific bows, if they aren't color coded is there a way to tell he numbered them correctly?

any help is appriciated, I am sure I will have plenty more questions when I start getting into the folddown seat installation, and now i have to recover the seats.........

I bought another 69 and have begun the restoration process. I have a totally gutted interior so I have a clean slate to start with. There was only on place on the floor pan I need to replace and now I am starting my interior rebuild. There was no headliner, so this means no bows. I bought a kit to replace the headliner, it came with everything BUT the bows. I bought a set on Ebay, and started the installation..... WELLLLL all of the bows fit except the front number one and two. they are lose and will not stay up by themsleves. The bows I bought were not color coded, is there any way to tell if I have the correct set? Also is the any way to fix the front two so they will stay tight?

All 69 fastbacks only use four bows, right? but they need specific bows, if they aren't color coded is there a way to tell he numbered them correctly?

any help is appriciated, I am sure I will have plenty more questions when I start getting into the folddown seat installation, and now i have to recover the seats.........

The bows do not have to hold themselves up. The thing that holds them up and in place is the little piece of wire that attaches to the rear window roof support and the rear bow. This piece is what keeps them taught and facing upwards when you stretch the headliner forward. JKskinsfan has taken a pic of it in his link and it is very important. There are also some great videos on youtube for headliner installation and were a great help for me.

The bows do not have to hold themselves up. The thing that holds them up and in place is the little piece of wire that attaches to the rear window roof support and the rear bow. This piece is what keeps them taught and facing upwards when you stretch the headliner forward. JKskinsfan has taken a pic of it in his link and it is very important. There are also some great videos on youtube for headliner installation and were a great help for me.

That link was a big help. I think the hangers on the front bow will help. Do I leave them in or take them out just before I glue the front in place? My front two bows won't stay up by themselves will this be a problem? Thanks for the help you have already given. my will be a little easier as both from and rear glass is out.

That link was a big help. I think the hangers on the front bow will help. Do I leave them in or take them out just before I glue the front in place? My front two bows won't stay up by themselves will this be a problem? Thanks for the help you have already given. my will be a little easier as both from and rear glass is out.

It is difficult to explain but I will try.

A piece of wire goes from you rear window support to the rear bow after it is fitted to the roof liner. This locates the rear bow in the upright position. All the other bows are also fitted to the roof liner and as you stretch it forward the bows will all stand upright. Because the wire is holding the rear one all the others stand upright also because the roofliner has them spaced to do so. Once you glue the front in place the roof liner will not allow the bows to fall backward and the wire will not allow them to fall forward. Chances are you did not get this piece of wire when you bought the bows so you will have to make it yourself and at the correct length.

I strongly recommend you look on youtube as the vids on there make it really easy to understand.

Edited by Lemon Owner
further explanation

It is difficult to explain but I will try.

A piece of wire goes from you rear window support to the rear bow after it is fitted to the roof liner. This locates the rear bow in the upright position. All the other bows are also fitted to the roof liner and as you stretch it forward the bows will all stand upright. Because the wire is holding the rear one all the others stand upright also because the roofliner has them spaced to do so. Once you glue the front in place the roof liner will not allow the bows to fall backward and the wire will not allow them to fall forward. Chances are you did not get this piece of wire when you bought the bows so you will have to make it yourself and at the correct length.

I strongly recommend you look on youtube as the vids on there make it really easy to understand.

Edited by Lemon Owner
further explanation

Leave 'em in.

Leave 'em in.