Sign in to follow this  
BLF

3rd member complete where to obtain

I am located in Southern California. Who has 3rd member for 1969 Ford Mustang Grande Coupe complete with geers , bearings and seals ?

There's a guy on Ebay that sells completely rebuilt 8" & 9" center sections with your choice of gear ratios. His name escapes me at the moment. I bought mine from him, turned out he was just an hour away from me in PA - so I drove down to pick it up.

He's an old timer with 40+ years rebuilding them. Works out of a garage on his property now. Super nice guy & stands behind his product! The pinion seal started to leak a little before the 6 month warranty was up & he sent a whole new unit right out with return shipping already paid for! I would highly recommend him!

Think I paid $750

I am located in Southern California. Who has 3rd member for 1969 Ford Mustang Grande Coupe complete with geers , bearings and seals ?

There's a guy on Ebay that sells completely rebuilt 8" & 9" center sections with your choice of gear ratios. His name escapes me at the moment. I bought mine from him, turned out he was just an hour away from me in PA - so I drove down to pick it up.

He's an old timer with 40+ years rebuilding them. Works out of a garage on his property now. Super nice guy & stands behind his product! The pinion seal started to leak a little before the 6 month warranty was up & he sent a whole new unit right out with return shipping already paid for! I would highly recommend him!

Think I paid $750

Think I paid $750

Post up his name or ebay ID if you can remember!!! That sounds like a great deal.

Think I paid $750

Post up his name or ebay ID if you can remember!!! That sounds like a great deal.

I just found on one of our local forums here. I have a 31 spline locker, and 3.73s, and I just wanted an empty case, but he sold it to me with new 4.10s, spool, bearings, and seals. Everything brand new, and never had oil in it for $80. it's assembled, and set up too.

I just found on one of our local forums here. I have a 31 spline locker, and 3.73s, and I just wanted an empty case, but he sold it to me with new 4.10s, spool, bearings, and seals. Everything brand new, and never had oil in it for $80. it's assembled, and set up too.

I've driven plenty of cars on the street with spools in them. It's not all that bad, especially if your running an ET street with a soft sidewall. Radial tires are a little more sketchy.

I'm not leaving the spool, of the 4.10s in it. Like I said, I'm putting my Detroit locker, and 3.73s in it, but I am going to put it in this week with the 4.10s and run it at the track.

I've driven plenty of cars on the street with spools in them. It's not all that bad, especially if your running an ET street with a soft sidewall. Radial tires are a little more sketchy.

I'm not leaving the spool, of the 4.10s in it. Like I said, I'm putting my Detroit locker, and 3.73s in it, but I am going to put it in this week with the 4.10s and run it at the track.

Holy resurrected threads, Batman!

Just out of curiosity. Are you running a 9 inch axle? If so, where did you find a 3.73 ring?

Edited by BigDuke6

I ordered directly from Moser.

I checked their catalog. I see 3.70, 3.75, and 3.89. I got a 3.70 when I put my Locker in back in 2007 only because I could not find a 3.73. IIRC, the 3.75 was not offered at the time and the 3.89 was too much. I scoured the catalogs for Richmond, Motive, and Moser and decided on a Richmond 3.70. I would have got a 3.73 or even a 3.75 if I could have found either of them at the time.

My in-laws live in Sherman, TX which is only 2 hours from Ada.

Can you send me the info for that guy?

When I lived in S.CA I used Bill Thomas. Super great guy and one of the best. He will send you one, but if you can, it is awesome to pay him a visit. He will talk to you and give you great info about Ford rear-ends, top loaders axles, Boss 351 and 428's. I would end up spending half a day up there getting info and tips. There just aren't many guys out there that will share their knowledge easily with you like he does. He also usually hits the swap meets at Pomona and Long Beach.

Parts I purchased from him:

-8" 3.80 Posi

-9" 3.00 Posi

-Axle housing

-Set of rebuilt 428 CJ Heads

-Axle Bearings. He installed them for me and he only uses American bearings. He showed me how in a case of bearings, they try to sneak Japanese ones in. He checks every one and sends back the imports.

I did a search to see if he was still in business and I came across this thread from someone else. I didn't write it, but I had basically the same experience.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/625217-rear-end-gears-spent-some-time-bill-thomas-yesterday.html

Bill Thom,as Enterprises

1877 N. Massachusetts Ave. Unit #5067

San Bernardino, CA 92411

909-888-7949

Jim

I checked their catalog. I see 3.70, 3.75, and 3.89. I got a 3.70 when I put my Locker in back in 2007 only because I could not find a 3.73. IIRC, the 3.75 was not offered at the time and the 3.89 was too much. I scoured the catalogs for Richmond, Motive, and Moser and decided on a Richmond 3.70. I would have got a 3.73 or even a 3.75 if I could have found either of them at the time.

They may actually be a 3.70. I can't imagine anyone could tell the difference in a 3.70 and a 3.73.

My in-laws live in Sherman, TX which is only 2 hours from Ada.

Can you send me the info for that guy?

It was a private seller. I wouldn't imagine he has anymore. I don't have any information for him. Just a screen name on a forum.