Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

Trying to find an old car... if she's still around need some help

Well long story short, it's a 1969 Road Runner sold back in the early 70's. My dad/grandpa bought it new in 69 and if by some act of god I can find the car, it would be the best gift I could ever give him. He's regretted selling the car ever since he did back in the day.

As of now the only thing my grandma (grandfather has passed) has on the car is an old picture on a slide in which we are almost 100% sure has a license plate number of PSB420. Now I don't know if that can still be traced somehow (can it?), but I'm thinking the only thing that may help me out is that he got in an accident back in 69 3 miles from the dealer after he bought it. So there should be an accident report somewhere and I'm hoping I can find the VIN.

If my grandma knows the insurance company they had back then would they still have records of this kind of stuff? Any help is sincerely appreciated, I know if I found the car he would probably drop to his knees no matter the condition (hopefully not soup cans).

TIA

Nick

That's a tough one. The odds are the car was scrapped years ago. If not, finding it may be impossible. If you don't have the VIN, forget it. If you do, the things I would try:

Call your state Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Call HQ at the state capitol, not the local neighborhood office, they won't be able to help.

They won't have records from back then (I bet), but they may be able to search for the VIN and tell you if it's still registered. Of course, if it was taken out of state, you're out of luck. I suppose you could try neighboring states or all 50 states, and Canadian provinces....

Contact the insurance company or maybe even local law enforcement about records of the accident. I really doubt they keep records that old but it can't hurt to ask. Is the agent still in business?

Last, you might try to find all the Road Runner registries and Mopar clubs you can find and ask about the VIN.

Good luck, it's a noble effort but the odds are really against you.

That's a tough one. The odds are the car was scrapped years ago. If not, finding it may be impossible. If you don't have the VIN, forget it. If you do, the things I would try:

Call your state Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Call HQ at the state capitol, not the local neighborhood office, they won't be able to help.

They won't have records from back then (I bet), but they may be able to search for the VIN and tell you if it's still registered. Of course, if it was taken out of state, you're out of luck. I suppose you could try neighboring states or all 50 states, and Canadian provinces....

Contact the insurance company or maybe even local law enforcement about records of the accident. I really doubt they keep records that old but it can't hurt to ask. Is the agent still in business?

Last, you might try to find all the Road Runner registries and Mopar clubs you can find and ask about the VIN.

Good luck, it's a noble effort but the odds are really against you.

Yeah I figured as much. I'll have to talk to my grandma more and see if she has anything. Since shes more old school she tends to keep EVERYTHING, but when my grandpa passed a lot got thrown out. Thanks for the input, I'll see if somehow I can find the VIN, but it's not looking good. I'm hoping it wasn't scrapped, although I agree it probably was, but it was a really nicely optioned car, hood stripes, buckets, console etc. so I'm hoping someone had a reason to keep it.

Yeah I figured as much. I'll have to talk to my grandma more and see if she has anything. Since shes more old school she tends to keep EVERYTHING, but when my grandpa passed a lot got thrown out. Thanks for the input, I'll see if somehow I can find the VIN, but it's not looking good. I'm hoping it wasn't scrapped, although I agree it probably was, but it was a really nicely optioned car, hood stripes, buckets, console etc. so I'm hoping someone had a reason to keep it.

A couple years ago I tried the same thing, it was a 69 el Camino. I asked a friend in Law Enforcement to run the VIN, he said it was scrapped a couple years prior. I need to do more research and find out how the state denotes "Scrapped" in their system. If a car isn't licensed for X amount of years the VIN falls off the system, perhaps my buddy interpreted this as scrapped.

A couple years ago I tried the same thing, it was a 69 el Camino. I asked a friend in Law Enforcement to run the VIN, he said it was scrapped a couple years prior. I need to do more research and find out how the state denotes "Scrapped" in their system. If a car isn't licensed for X amount of years the VIN falls off the system, perhaps my buddy interpreted this as scrapped.

Maybe the next best thing is the next best thing too. If it's been out of your family for that long and no one has a record of the VIN then honestly after so many years and lord knows how many owners and changes even if you did find it it would likely be unrecognizable except for the VIN itself. It would probably be easier to find a similar optioned car in need of restoration to restore in tribute. Not as cool granted but again without a VIN to go by who's to say.

Maybe the next best thing is the next best thing too. If it's been out of your family for that long and no one has a record of the VIN then honestly after so many years and lord knows how many owners and changes even if you did find it it would likely be unrecognizable except for the VIN itself. It would probably be easier to find a similar optioned car in need of restoration to restore in tribute. Not as cool granted but again without a VIN to go by who's to say.

http://the-lost-car-registry.com/- might be worth a shot. Maybe you could narrow it down (like 69 mustang vert- bought in dearborn in Aug 68, had a 302, and was lime gold with red interior) So we can deduce 9f03f and unit number would be 110000 or less- then with a weird set of options Marti could possibly hit the vin. Now can this work with a Mopar? I don't know but maybe it will give you some ideas. I for one hope you find it.

http://the-lost-car-registry.com/- might be worth a shot. Maybe you could narrow it down (like 69 mustang vert- bought in dearborn in Aug 68, had a 302, and was lime gold with red interior) So we can deduce 9f03f and unit number would be 110000 or less- then with a weird set of options Marti could possibly hit the vin. Now can this work with a Mopar? I don't know but maybe it will give you some ideas. I for one hope you find it.