Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

bad day for the Mach 1

I'd take a quick peek down the dizzy hole while it's open just to be on the safe side, but it sounds like it would be tough to twist that beefy one.

Nice price on the new dizzy!

When swapping in the new dizzy, there is a pretty good chance that it has a different curve than yours. Often smog era dizzys have a quicker advance rate because the engines were lower compression. Before you turn in your core, get the weights and springs and swap them.

I didn't and had to do a custom curve, as I was getting a lot of detonation.

When swapping in the new dizzy, there is a pretty good chance that it has a different curve than yours. Often smog era dizzys have a quicker advance rate because the engines were lower compression. Before you turn in your core, get the weights and springs and swap them.

Well I took the bad one apart to diagnose what went wrong and found that both e-clips came off the posts that the weights swing on. The pins then fell to the bottom of the distributor; one got ground down past the groove that retains the e-clip and the other was ground down completely into metal dust. This will just be a temporary install until I can get one set up properly. I don't want to try to change the weights and springs as I'm probably what caused this failure in the first place.

However, I pulled all the spark plugs before bumping the engine over to set the #1 cylinder at TDC, and found the #6 and #7 cylinders had anti freeze in the plugs. I had recently replaced the head gasket on the passenger side and was hoping I could get by without doing both sides since at the time the driver's side ckecked good.

Since I'm going to have to take the head off to be cleaned up (passenger side took .008 to clean up) I decided to put the bigger cam back in that I had when I dynoed it. I had de-tuned it to teach my kids how to drive a standard, but they aren't really interested.

Edited by 69gmachine
spelling

Well I took the bad one apart to diagnose what went wrong and found that both e-clips came off the posts that the weights swing on. The pins then fell to the bottom of the distributor; one got ground down past the groove that retains the e-clip and the other was ground down completely into metal dust. This will just be a temporary install until I can get one set up properly. I don't want to try to change the weights and springs as I'm probably what caused this failure in the first place.

However, I pulled all the spark plugs before bumping the engine over to set the #1 cylinder at TDC, and found the #6 and #7 cylinders had anti freeze in the plugs. I had recently replaced the head gasket on the passenger side and was hoping I could get by without doing both sides since at the time the driver's side ckecked good.

Since I'm going to have to take the head off to be cleaned up (passenger side took .008 to clean up) I decided to put the bigger cam back in that I had when I dynoed it. I had de-tuned it to teach my kids how to drive a standard, but they aren't really interested.

Edited by 69gmachine
spelling

Well after being down for a little over a month, I finally was able to take it for a drive tonight. It didn't make it to the grand national show like I had planned. I got it running the day before the show, but not good enough to drive it anywhere. The distributor was off a tooth, and a rocker arm had backed off and was making a terrible racket. After correcting those earlier today I took it for a spin. There is an exhaust leak I need to find and fix, but it's back woo hoo!!