Sign in to follow this  
DRASTiK

ATTN Coupe Owners - Rear Windshield Trim Ideas Requested

The trim pieces that surround the outside of the rear windshield on the 69 coupe are bugging me.

My previous 69 coupe had a black vinyl top and these black trim pieces fit right in appearance-wise, but my current coupe will not have a vinyl top. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to this area of the car. Aside from painting them body color, have any of you done or seen an appealing alternative to installing these pieces?

The top piece, for example attaches to metal prongs that extend from the roof. I originally thought this trim was only to hide the points which the vinyl top would attach to the car back there. What is the purpose of having this trim if you don't have a vinyl top?

I'm going to smooth mine out and paint body color. Seen a few cars like that and like the look.

The top piece, for example attaches to metal prongs that extend from the roof. I originally thought this trim was only to hide the points which the vinyl top would attach to the car back there. What is the purpose of having this trim if you don't have a vinyl top?

Besides the obvious pupose of cleaning up the back glass area, it was probably a compromise, only one set of trim regardless of roof finish.

The non-vinyl top cars I have seen up close had these trims pieces painted a medium gray from the factory (regardless of body color). My personal theory is vinyl top cars got black and others got gray, but that could be argued.

I've seen four things done - the gray, a semi black, body color, and one dude at a car show had them chromed. i'm not sure if I got a picture or not.. if I find it I'll post it. I didn't dig them chromed, I think I'm going to just go with a semi black myself. right now they are body color.

Mine are semi-gloss black.

It is definitely a unique / odd trim treatment especially w/o a vinyl top but you'll get used to it being there !!

It would be a lot of work eliminating them and then it would look like something is missing with no trim at all ... IMO.

Pretty sure adapting the plain aluminum '70 trim would require even more fabrication if not the roof of a donor car.

Doug

My coupe also had a vinyl top in its earlier life and will not be getting another. As for the trim my thoughts all along was to paint the trim black. I have seen this before and like the look however I am always on the hunt for alternate looks to my restomod that makes sense to the look of the car. I'm not to sure about painting them the same color as the car.

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like painting them body-color isn't as preferred as leaving them black (based on opinions above) which surprises me a little. I'll see if I can find some pics of both and post 'em.

Here's one without trim installed, one with black trim which does not match body color, one with vinyl installed. I haven't found a pic of trim that is matching body color yet. Curious what it looks like.

Zach, do you have a pic of yours?

My car is blue and I have the black trim around the rear window. Always wanted to know what others had/did with theirs. Now I see. Mine always catches too much water when I wash the car(everytime I take it out). Lately I been seeing water in the trunk when I wash?? I'm thinking there is a leak somewhere, the only water it sees is from a hose?? Maybe a seal went bad??

My coupe is painted satin black which seems to look fine with the blacked out tail light panel. I also have the black rally stripes which kind of ties it all together. I guess thats the key, as long as you have other similarly coloured features around it it will blend in with the rest of the car. But I do not think body colour would be very attractive.

Hey, that first one is a picture of my car :)

I ended up having mine powder coated black to add durability to them. They were originally black.

In reference to the leak mentioned above, that is probably the seal from your rear window. Because of the design of the rear window water sits under the trim and erodes the window seal...though any old rubber will end up leaking. You can purchase a new rubber seal. You'll just have to remove the trim and then remove the rear glass. While you're at it you might as well replace the headliner if it needs it since you have to remove the rear glass to replace the headliner.

Heh, yes it is Ranger. I was keeping some of your pics as I'm also going with the same trunklid spoiler setup, so I thought they would make good references. Plus they help me to feel better about spending that much money on the trunk lid and extensions. When I'm looking at them just sitting in my garage and not fitting all that well yet, there are moments when I wonder if it's worth it. Pics of your car make my wallet feel better during these times :-)

You wouldn't believe that I'm still having issues with the end caps. After my shop couldn't get the bolts to stay on I sent them back to Maier and just got them back this week. As soon as I take the time to bolt them back up I'll take some new pictures now that I fixed the trunk so everything should line up.

Yep. I do. the paint is peeling a bit but you get the idea. I don't think the pic of the chrome one from the car show made my final cut, but it's easy enough to photo shop or imagine I suppose

1969%252520mustang%252520009.jpg

It does look ok with the trim body colour but I think it looks better in black. Better still with the 70 chrome trim but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.

I'm confused. The pic RacerX posted looks like a 70 with less bulky chrome trim, while Cramer's pic shows a 70 with the same bulky trim that my 69 has. I'm confused.

Were there multiple options?