Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Painless or American Auto Wire

Havent installed mine yet, but i bought the american auto wire kit.....it has more stuff with it than the painless did when i bought mine, the painless may have more with it now tho.......The American kit comes with bulb sockets, head linght plugs, ignition and head light switches i believe....The directions are on like 11X17 pages in color, and the wire is very good quality...I would get it SOON tho because with the price of copper going up every day, you know their prices are going up....Think i paid like $540 for mine if i recall...whole kit is about 15LBS LOL thats alot of copper.

Mike

I also bought the American AUto Wire kit adn havnt got around to installing it yet. But I also was amazed at the quality of not only the parts but the also the directions. Everything is step by step color pages. And for half the cost and half the pain of a painless kit I would say go for the AAW

I have been doing a lot of researching on these. I have read pros and cons for both. Looks like a 50/50 split on personal opinions. I have read that Painless has the correct wire colors. Not sure if AAW does. One thing that I am concerned about is wiring the alternator and distributor. I want to go with a one wire alternator and an MSD electronic ignition/distributor. I have read some horror stories about wiring both.

I have installed the AAW and am extremely happy with the results. All of them require mastering the crimping of connectors. My kit required me to loose the ammeter and install a voltmeter and also does not support the factory alternator. So, yes the (1) wire must be installed. I can say I have not completed the wiring forward of the firewall yet so I do not know the mysteries that lie there. I also took my time understanding each circuit and sketching the stuff that was specific for my car. Good luck and use the forums. Peep here are awesome!:thumbup1:

I place an order yesterday from a distributor of AAW on E-Bay last night that totaled $594 w/free shipping. If you buy direct from AAW it will cost you $710 w/shipping. Worth the time to do a little research for best pricing. I appreciate the responses. Will post progress on the wiring after I get that 8" rear rebuilt and installed with the new rear leaf springs installed and she's off the rotissarie.

I installed a AAW. They don't use the factory wire colors and myself I didn't care as long as everything was labeled since I was going to cover them up with the vynil tubing anyway.

AAW has pretty good Tech Support. I'm still finishing my installation since my car isn't running yet I didn't want to put my dash all back together just yet. The only question I have unanswered is how to hook up a stock heater switch to their harness. It only has one power wire and nothing going to the actual fan motor.