Sign in to follow this  
kennygunit

Engine Dilemma

Starting in the beginning of October, i am going to be taking an auto class in which i build up an engine. Currently, my 69 mustang has a non original 302 block 2bbl, nothing special.

In the end, the car is going to be a track car and weekend driver. It is going to be a supercharged 351w engine getting around 600+ HP (Not going to build this motor yet, going to use a different block). Not getting there yet though, still need to finish my suspension and transmission (T56 and full TCP suspension) which will take another year or two.

My options are to either build up my 302 as a temporary engine. Maybe throw in a 4bbl carb, intake, and a performance cam. This would be the cheaper solution in getting more power.

The other option is to find an early 70s 351w engine from a junk yard, and do a stock rebuild on it and 4bbl carb. If i do this, i think it would go over my budget. I would need new motor mounts, bell housing to attach to my C4, and other accessories. The pros to this would be that i can start getting everything ready for when i do my real engine build, since it will be a 351.

Overall, i don't want to spend more than $1,000 for whatever i decide. What would you guys suggest?

Edited by kennygunit

I would build the 302 just to learn how to do it. I sure didn't get my first engine rebuild right. Also, if it turns out good, you could sell it to finance your 351. On the other hand, expences that you have going over budget now (for a 351), will be money saved down the road.

You probably won't get very far with $1000, so you will have to stick with the 302. If you go to the junk yard, don't set the limit at early 70's blocks. IMO, the 1994 and up blocks are ideal, although a little weaker, they are set up for a roller cam and still plenty strong. If I had the time to do it, and was going to build a super budget engine out of the junk yard.

I would get look for a 1994 up 351 roller block, 5.0 H.O. cam., 1996 and up GT40/GT40P explorer heads (must drill out head bolt holes)

For a budget 302, start with a 5.0 explorer motor, ditch the exhaust manifolds, and get a better cam. Use the EFI intake and TB if you can!!

Rebuild what you have since money is a concern. I doubt I'd even waste my $$$ on 4bbl intake, carb, cam and headers for the 302 since you're planning a 600hp 351W build soon afterwards.

Rebuild what you have since money is a concern. I doubt I'd even waste my $$$ on 4bbl intake, carb, cam and headers for the 302 since you're planning a 600hp 351W build soon afterwards.

I would agree, If your going to do the 351W build in the next year or two save the money and put it toward the 351W.

Yea, i think im going to just rebuild the 302. I have a carburetor problem and a leak in my rear mail seal. I think im going to just rebuild both of them, and if i have the money, get a 4 bbl. We will have to see when how much money i have when October rolls around.

If anyone else has an opinion, please let me know!