Sign in to follow this  
garp90

Cougar Compatibility

I guess I'll do a little introduction. Hi, my name is Gary and I have recently acquired a 69 coupe. It has nothing for options. 200 six cylinder with a 3 speed. Like always I want more. My boss' brother in law has a late sixties cougar (he's not sure of the year) that has a built up 351 (cleveland or windsor, not sure of that either). But the body is in rough shape. If I can get it cheap enough, is this cougar worth getting so I can upgrade my mustang? What parts does a cougar have that I want/can put into my mustang? Thanks.

I guess I'll do a little introduction. Hi, my name is Gary and I have recently acquired a 69 coupe. It has nothing for options. 200 six cylinder with a 3 speed. Like always I want more. My boss' brother in law has a late sixties cougar (he's not sure of the year) that has a built up 351 (cleveland or windsor, not sure of that either). But the body is in rough shape. If I can get it cheap enough, is this cougar worth getting so I can upgrade my mustang? What parts does a cougar have that I want/can put into my mustang? Thanks.

"IF" it is a '69 or '70, the whole interior (including the dash) can swap right in. A somewhat popular swap back in the day used to be putting an XR7 / Eliminator dash in a Mustang to get full instrumentation (Tach dash in Mustang looses Oil & Amp gauges). I've seen a few like this, but the flat Cougar dash pad just takes away the unique look of the double cockpit Mustang dash. Cougar dash pads were less prone to cracking though and may have been part of the reason people did the swap back then.

"IF" it is a '67-68, nothing but front seats will simply "swap right in" as far as interior goes.

Exterior wise: nothing but the cowl panel, side glass, and maybe a few other components will swap between '69-70 Mustangs & Cougars ... nothing at all if it is a '67-68.

Mechanical wise: the whole drive train & suspension are interchangable if '69-70, (brakes too if '68-70) ... basically just engine & trans and differential if '67.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me
added more info

"IF" it is a '69 or '70, the whole interior (including the dash) can swap right in. A somewhat popular swap back in the day used to be putting an XR7 / Eliminator dash in a Mustang to get full instrumentation (Tach dash in Mustang looses Oil & Amp gauges). I've seen a few like this, but the flat Cougar dash pad just takes away the unique look of the double cockpit Mustang dash. Cougar dash pads were less prone to cracking though and may have been part of the reason people did the swap back then.

"IF" it is a '67-68, nothing but front seats will simply "swap right in" as far as interior goes.

Exterior wise: nothing but the cowl panel, side glass, and maybe a few other components will swap between '69-70 Mustangs & Cougars ... nothing at all if it is a '67-68.

Mechanical wise: the whole drive train & suspension are interchangable if '69-70, (brakes too if '68-70) ... basically just engine & trans and differential if '67.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me
added more info

I've been a BMW/VW guy (2002, 320i, gti, etc) for the past couple years but I couldn't help myself, I had to get a mustang lol. It's nice to have real car for a change. Anyways that pretty much answers my question, thank you. I think I'm gonna pursue this cougar. (pun kinda intended)

I've been a BMW/VW guy (2002, 320i, gti, etc) for the past couple years but I couldn't help myself, I had to get a mustang lol. It's nice to have real car for a change. Anyways that pretty much answers my question, thank you. I think I'm gonna pursue this cougar. (pun kinda intended)

Doug

Wow Doug ! Sounds like you may be able to verify my situation. I bought a 68 cougar for the drivetrain only, a 302 with a toploader 4 speed. My my 69 fastback is a c4 automatic. So I'm guessing the z bar won't work and neither will the clutch pedal. What do ya think?

Doug

Wow Doug ! Sounds like you may be able to verify my situation. I bought a 68 cougar for the drivetrain only, a 302 with a toploader 4 speed. My my 69 fastback is a c4 automatic. So I'm guessing the z bar won't work and neither will the clutch pedal. What do ya think?

According to my CJ Catalog, the Z-Bar & both mounts are the same, but the upper & lower rods are not. Clutch/brake pedal assemblies are also different.

Doug

According to my CJ Catalog, the Z-Bar & both mounts are the same, but the upper & lower rods are not. Clutch/brake pedal assemblies are also different.

Doug

Doug

Hey, thanks for the info Doug! I had no idea their might be a problem with the linkage. Not to hijack..... but...with my mustang can I just buy the clutch pedal and mount it up to the existing hangar? I'm sure there are threads on this already...

Doug

Hey, thanks for the info Doug! I had no idea their might be a problem with the linkage. Not to hijack..... but...with my mustang can I just buy the clutch pedal and mount it up to the existing hangar? I'm sure there are threads on this already...

Yes, the support is the same with or without a clutch.

However ... you do need the upper clutch pedal assist spring & bracket "IF" you are going to use a regular old school 3-finger type clutch. If you are going to up-grade to a Diaphram type (I.E. Centerforce), then you're good to go as the pedal assist spring is not needed or wanted with this type of clutch.

Doug