Sign in to follow this  
sleek98

Shock tower replacement on a 69 coupe

Ok well if anyone remembers, I posted about a year ago about my passanger side shock tower cracking and looking for an easy fix. In the last year I have learned easy doesnt exist.

I looked over alot of different parts talked to about 10-15 shops, quoting me 900-3000 per side to cut off and weld in the dynacorn shock tower assembly, with the motor and trans already out of the car. Didnt include replacing anything else since the pans and torque boxes were supposed to be replaced 1992, (have the reciept in the file the previous, and orginal, owner gave me)

Started out by deciding I was only going to replace the passanger side and be done with it and do the other side when it brakes.

Fast forward to removal of the motor and the side looked 10 times worse than we though, and the drivers side was showing signs of needing to be done. It was starting to bubble. So I ordered both sides and also ordered the torque boxes for each side since they would have to cut out almost the whole box anyways.

Got the car to the shop, ended up using a friend of my dads who resotred my dads 57 buick. He pulls the interior out and sees that someone had mudded the bottom of the car to cover up the floorboards and torque boxes rusting out.:scared: So added new pans, toe boards and floor supports to the mix.

Luckly I just got the call that it is all welded up and waiting on the engine bay paint to dry. :thumbup1: Should have the undercoating on and all put back together for this weekend!

Just thought that I would share with everyone that the guy said the Dynacorn parts fit like a glove and didnt have to be modified at all. He also said the tower, frame, and apron all together saved him a ton of time.

Also want to mention that I met the Dynacorn rep who helped design the replacement parts at Shelbyfest at the end of April. He was a really nice and gave me a little insight about the product. Im glad I went with them for the parts.

He is supposed to be sending me finished pics tonight or in the morning. I have included pics of when he got done tearing the car down.

Edited by sleek98

Ok well if anyone remembers, I posted about a year ago about my passanger side shock tower cracking and looking for an easy fix. In the last year I have learned easy doesnt exist.

I looked over alot of different parts talked to about 10-15 shops, quoting me 900-3000 per side to cut off and weld in the dynacorn shock tower assembly, with the motor and trans already out of the car. Didnt include replacing anything else since the pans and torque boxes were supposed to be replaced 1992, (have the reciept in the file the previous, and orginal, owner gave me)

Started out by deciding I was only going to replace the passanger side and be done with it and do the other side when it brakes.

Fast forward to removal of the motor and the side looked 10 times worse than we though, and the drivers side was showing signs of needing to be done. It was starting to bubble. So I ordered both sides and also ordered the torque boxes for each side since they would have to cut out almost the whole box anyways.

Got the car to the shop, ended up using a friend of my dads who resotred my dads 57 buick. He pulls the interior out and sees that someone had mudded the bottom of the car to cover up the floorboards and torque boxes rusting out.:scared: So added new pans, toe boards and floor supports to the mix.

Luckly I just got the call that it is all welded up and waiting on the engine bay paint to dry. :thumbup1: Should have the undercoating on and all put back together for this weekend!

Just thought that I would share with everyone that the guy said the Dynacorn parts fit like a glove and didnt have to be modified at all. He also said the tower, frame, and apron all together saved him a ton of time.

Also want to mention that I met the Dynacorn rep who helped design the replacement parts at Shelbyfest at the end of April. He was a really nice and gave me a little insight about the product. Im glad I went with them for the parts.

He is supposed to be sending me finished pics tonight or in the morning. I have included pics of when he got done tearing the car down.

Edited by sleek98

Great update, I think it was a good decision to do both sides. If you only did one side I don't think you would have wanted to pull the engine out to do another side =) And you won't have to drive down the road wondering if the drivers side tower was cracking each time you went around a curve.

Great update, I think it was a good decision to do both sides. If you only did one side I don't think you would have wanted to pull the engine out to do another side =) And you won't have to drive down the road wondering if the drivers side tower was cracking each time you went around a curve.

Very true.

Got the pics of the progress.

Very true.

Got the pics of the progress.