Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Classic Auto Air vs Old Air Products

The AC (factory) compressor in my Mustang (1970 convertible/ 351C engine) died last fall. For many reason, it is only now that I am able to replace it. I am going to upgrade to the Sanden compressor with 134a refrigerant. My plan is to go with engine compartment upgrade system from either Old Air Products or Classic Auto Air. Both have a kit that includes the compressor, condenser, hoses, drier and expansion valve. The only difference I see is Classic Auto Air wants $789 for its kit and does not list a compressor safety switch in the kit. The old Air Kit is priced at $580 with a compressor safety switch.

The question is this; does anyone have any firsthand experience with these kits and companies? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The AC (factory) compressor in my Mustang (1970 convertible/ 351C engine) died last fall. For many reason, it is only now that I am able to replace it. I am going to upgrade to the Sanden compressor with 134a refrigerant. My plan is to go with engine compartment upgrade system from either Old Air Products or Classic Auto Air. Both have a kit that includes the compressor, condenser, hoses, drier and expansion valve. The only difference I see is Classic Auto Air wants $789 for its kit and does not list a compressor safety switch in the kit. The old Air Kit is priced at $580 with a compressor safety switch.

The question is this; does anyone have any firsthand experience with these kits and companies? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The Classic Auto Air site says the "Complete" kit comes with:

• Hi-Low refrigerant pressure switch for compressor protection

If this is what you need call them and ask about it. I talked to them last week and they were very helpful on the phone.

Edited by TexasEd
re-read the original post

The Classic Auto Air site says the "Complete" kit comes with:

• Hi-Low refrigerant pressure switch for compressor protection

If this is what you need call them and ask about it. I talked to them last week and they were very helpful on the phone.

Edited by TexasEd
re-read the original post

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but most modern compressors (at least from the factory) come with a pressure relief valve built into the hhi pressure hose attachment. The aftermarket Sanden may not come with one of these.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but most modern compressors (at least from the factory) come with a pressure relief valve built into the hhi pressure hose attachment. The aftermarket Sanden may not come with one of these.

I used the Classic Air kit. Excellent quality. Everything fit perfect. Take a look at the condender you get from Classic Air. Much better than the others. It looks and fits exactly like the factory unit. No adapter brackets like the others. Also the drier is just like the factory unit. The air in my Mustang is ice cold. Great going to a cruise night in 90 plus weather and you are nice and cool.

I used the Classic Air kit. Excellent quality. Everything fit perfect. Take a look at the condender you get from Classic Air. Much better than the others. It looks and fits exactly like the factory unit. No adapter brackets like the others. Also the drier is just like the factory unit. The air in my Mustang is ice cold. Great going to a cruise night in 90 plus weather and you are nice and cool.

can you give me a link to the old air kit? I found the Classic auto air but not the old air.

Also where are you seeing the price for the classic auto air did you email them?

Thanks

can you give me a link to the old air kit? I found the Classic auto air but not the old air.

Also where are you seeing the price for the classic auto air did you email them?

Thanks

sleek98,

Here is the link to the Old Air underhood performance kit for the 69/70 Mustang: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=50-0020&x=20&y=11

You will note the catalog says this for 302/428 and it provides the price. I never found this on line. I called them and they gave me the 50-0020 part number and said it would work for the 351C. I called all of the Big 3, Vintage, Classic, and Old Air, and explained I had factory air and only needed the underhood components. Vintage does not have an underhood kit. So it is between Classic and Old Air.

sleek98, let me know what you decided. I hope to get mine ordered very soon.

nymustang1969, Thanks for the feedback. That is what I was looking for.

sleek98,

Here is the link to the Old Air underhood performance kit for the 69/70 Mustang: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=50-0020&x=20&y=11

You will note the catalog says this for 302/428 and it provides the price. I never found this on line. I called them and they gave me the 50-0020 part number and said it would work for the 351C. I called all of the Big 3, Vintage, Classic, and Old Air, and explained I had factory air and only needed the underhood components. Vintage does not have an underhood kit. So it is between Classic and Old Air.

sleek98, let me know what you decided. I hope to get mine ordered very soon.

nymustang1969, Thanks for the feedback. That is what I was looking for.

Thanks, the only thing I noticed with the old air is that at the bottom when looking at the upgrade kit it says people who bought this also bought: the compressor bracket, at 205 it would bring it in line with the classic kit.

However it appears that there is a compressor bracket in the kit picture but it doesnt list it in the description.

Let me know which one you get as it will be a couple weeks before I can get one.

Thanks, the only thing I noticed with the old air is that at the bottom when looking at the upgrade kit it says people who bought this also bought: the compressor bracket, at 205 it would bring it in line with the classic kit.

However it appears that there is a compressor bracket in the kit picture but it doesnt list it in the description.

Let me know which one you get as it will be a couple weeks before I can get one.

sleek98,

you may beat me to the punch. I am very busy at work right now and work is where I usually make my phone calls and check stuff on the web. Thank you very much for mentioning the bracket.

I will let you know what I do, please do the same.

sleek98,

you may beat me to the punch. I am very busy at work right now and work is where I usually make my phone calls and check stuff on the web. Thank you very much for mentioning the bracket.

I will let you know what I do, please do the same.

Well I tried to call old air but there was not anyone there.

I am wondering with the two grove pulley on the compressor does that allow you to run ithe ac off of the p/s belt of you wanted to?

Edit:

Got an email back from classic auto air and it list a high/low pressure switch as parts that come with the kit.

Edited by sleek98