Sign in to follow this  
kennygunit

Battery Cutoff

Hello,

I just recently relocated my optima red top battery into the trunk, and I need to add a battery cutoff switch. Which one would you guys recommend I get, and where would you put it?

The car is a 1969 ford mustang coupe. I want to keep the car stock looking. I was thinking about mounting it behind the rear license plate.

Thanks!

Why do you think you need an isolator switch? Keep in mind that if the switch accidentally gets shut off with the car running, it can ruin a lot of stuff and do serious damage to the electrical system. Maybe that will never happen, it is a stretch. Why else do you need a cutoff switch?

Another good place to find one is a marine parts store. Boats need cutoff switches, and a 100 amp switch should work fine. You might need to wear a life preserver when you dirive if you buy a marine switch...

The Moroso switch has 2 big posts and 2 small ones. The 2 big ones are for the positive battery cable.

If you have the original 1G alternator, run the Field wire (the wire that goes from the alternator to the "F" terminal on the voltage regulator) to the small posts on the switch. If you installed the newer 3G alternator, run the green/red wire (power) from the alternator to the small posts.