Sign in to follow this  
andykbob

What rear end for road racing?

Hey Guys

I have to rebuild my 9" rear end and I also want to start racing on the road course so I was wondering what is the best kind of set up I should have? Posi-track? limited slip??

So I was told its a posi trac but the pucks??are worn out, so only one tire spins.

What can I do? Just replace the pucks?

Also, where do I pick up a good rebuild kit?

Edited by andykbob
adding more info

The torque sensing differentials are the best as they apply power smoothly. They also don't have clutches to wear out. The Traction Loks work fine, and since you're a beginner, you probably won't stress it too much for a while. Have it rebuilt and later you can upgrade to a torque sensing style. I would avoid the lockers. They come on and off hard and can upset the car.

The torque sensing differentials are the best as they apply power smoothly. They also don't have clutches to wear out. The Traction Loks work fine, and since you're a beginner, you probably won't stress it too much for a while. Have it rebuilt and later you can upgrade to a torque sensing style. I would avoid the lockers. They come on and off hard and can upset the car.

:thumbup1: Agreed!

The name "Posi -Trac" was originally used by GM as the brand name for its original equipment: a positive locking differential. After a time, "posi" became a popular name for limited-slip differentials of any origin.

Edited by 6T9rustang

posi is not a locker. A locker physically locks both rear axles together and applies 100% power to both simultaneously. A posi, or limited slip, also provides power to both rear axles, but not at 100%. There is more to it, but that's it in a nutshell.

As said above, stay away from the full locker and stick with a limited slip for your application. Driving a road course with a locker will cause the rear end to jump around on you when it's locking/unlocking upon corner entry/exit. I've got lockers in my jeep for rock crawling, but I'll be putting a limited slip in the stang for on-road driving/drag racing.

Edited by DRASTiK

I have a TrueTrac, (torsen diff) and I'm very happy with it's performance, both on the road, drags and road race. Just remember that in needs mineral fluid. There's a whole tread about that on corner-carvers.com.