Sign in to follow this  
JoeyS

Power brake booster replacement

I am trying to replace the Bendix power brake booster on my 1970. I have removed the nuts from the passenger compartment and the bolt from the engine compartment that holds it in but it is stuck and I cannot get it out.

It doesn't move at all. I thought the spacer between the booster and firewall might have rusted causing it to stick.

Does anyone know any trick or tips to get this out? Maybe I missed something that is keeping it attached.

I've included a photo of the hardware I removed. I would appreciate any helpful advice offered.

Thanks

You should probably get a parts & body illustrations or some kind of repair manual. Getting the booster off is back-breaking if your seats are in. The bolts that come off from the engine side are just the beginning.

You have to disconnect the power booster from the brake pedal and at least 3 (possibly 4) bolts from the inside of the car. Your booster is not rusted to your firewall...it's just held in by lots of stuff.

Good luck.

I do have the factory service manual and have studied the illustration closely. I removed 4 nuts from the studs on the booster that goes through the firewall into the passenger compartment. Also I removed the single bolt on the engine side. The booster rod is detached from the brake pedal.

I don't really think it is rusted to the firewall but have doused it in penetrating fluid anyway.

Perhaps it got painted over and the paint is causing it to stick. I cut around it best I could but paint shouldn't be holding it on as tight as it is.

There were two large sheet metal type screws from passenger compartment side going through the firewall. Ive removed these but possibly the edges of the sheetmetal has been crimped together causing it to stick.

I'm going to try again today. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the help.

Joe

+1 on Mach1Rider. I just stared at my parts manual some more and there is another nut that is VERY hard to reach/see that comes off from the inside.

And it was stupid of me to say it "is not rusted". How would I know? I meant to say, it is probably not rusted given how much hardware holds this baby in place.

FWIW, it took me a LONG time to get my booster off. I would up removing the seat to minimize all the contorting. Get yourself in there good and tight and find that bastard nut.

Good luck!

It is my understanding that there is a fifth nut but the stud does not penetrate the firewall. It goes on the short stud on the booster and holds the booster to firewall bracket in place. This nut cannot be removed until the booster assembly is removed from the firewall.

I'm thinking that some kind of cold weld or corrosion has developed bonding the assembly in place.

Maybe I'm wrong and just missed a bolt but I don't see any other attaching hardware. If that's the case then I'll just keep trying penetrating fluid and attempt to work it free.

Thanks for all the advice.

The booster sits flush with the firewall and that upper nut does go thru.

Look again I use a 12in extension with a flex socket 9/16 to remove it.

The 6th nut your book shows is on the upper left side, this holds the mounting bracket to the booster.

Edited by Mach1Rider

Just to follow up, I did get my power brake booster off. There was an additional nut still holding it on. I did not realize that one of the studs has two nuts. This second nut was covered up by a bracket that goes to the lower dash. I never thought there would be two nuts on one stud and you cannot see it until removing that under dash bracket.

I hope this helps someone else in the future.

I appreciate the assistance I got here on this forum. Thanks again everybody.

Joe