Sign in to follow this  
69mustang351W

Problems with buyer

Hello

I sold my 69 mustang in the beginning of the Desember last year. Two days ago (29/3-2011) I got a phone from the buyer. He has removed many parts and he is gonna paint it. He restores the car and has used money to buy new parts.

He had a problem. The distance between the front and rear wheels had almost 3 cm (proximately 1 inch) difference on each side. The distance is longer on the drivers side. He wondered why. I dont have a clue. He may wants to cancel the purchase. He is suspiciuos and believe that the frame may not be straight. If it is, the frame must has been unstraight from before I bought the car in 2002.

May this "difference" problem often is common?

The front fender on the driver side is a repro, the other is original. Could the wheel well on these fenders be a bit different, so it looks like the distance between the tires and the wells is a bit different?

The car has been to controls (in Europe, we have to do it each second year).

In 2004, I replaced the front suspension (with new repro parts) and replaced the rear leaf springs. And the car was at suspension control at a shop after, and it worked great.

This is common and is done as part of the alignment process. 1 of the front wheels is more "forward" than the other.

It has to do with bump steering or something like that. I can't remember exactly why but someone who knows more about wheel alignment stuff can probably explain better.

I noticed the same thing when lowering my car. 1 wheel rubbed the other didn't.

Just what the buyer told me, the wheel on the drivers side is more forward than the other.

3-4 years ago, the car was at an alignment shop, I have the documents of the measurements.

Approximatly 2 years after that, I cut the front springs, half a coil. Maybe that could be a reason to the bump steer problem.

That would be a better reason than a a unstraight frame.

But I also agree Candyapplered, in his comment

In the contract, its written "the car is sold as it is, without any form of warranty"

But, off course its ok to help the buyer, if I can

It's also called "buyer beware", as he has to recognize that he is not buying a brand new car with a warranty. It is nice that you are willing to help him, but it may also imply that you feel somewhat responsible which may further lead to greater suspicion from the buyer. There is a definite cut off point of when it is no longer your problem.

Edited by unfrozen1969

As ThunderKiss said above, this sounds like a caster issue and probably isn't anything to worry about. A front-end alignment will adjust caster, camber and toe. If the caster was adjusted to move one front wheel farther forward than another, that would esplain it. An inch difference in wheel-base from one side to the other is significant, but not alarming. When aligning older cars, many techs will set the camber and toe so that tire wear isn't an issue and then just drive it. If it doesn't pull, then they don't worry about caster adjustments because it won't cause any tire wear issues. Just my .02. I'd tell him to have an alignment shop adjust the caster to where he wants it.

Also, as many have said above, buying a used car is just that. There are no warranties expressed or implied unless you two made some kind of written stipulation on the deal.

Yes, there is a limit about how kind a seller can be. Too nice, and the buyer may think he can make most out of this chance to get great refund. He may become cunning.

I assume it is just adjustment which is the problem, he may exaggerate the problem

When I read the original post I thought I was going insane, the thought of returning a used car that is now taken apart 4 months after purchase is just not done under any circumstance in any country or planet for that matter. I agree with everyone it is likely just the caster but there is no harm in taking two identical frame points front and rear and do a diagonal measurement just to ease his mind that it's not the frame.