Sign in to follow this  
silverfox

Center vent install

I'm about to fit air cond to my stang and want to put in a center vent in the dash. I have the air cond dash pad now and was wondering if anybody could tell me what holds in the center vent in place? I have an original center vent but cannot see what holds it in place. Think I may be missing a part? Pics would be great??

Fox,

As I recall it kinda holds it's self in place, if I recall it's a tight fit and there are little ears on the center vent that lock it in....I have my pad off so I can look and see for ya tomorrow. But I don't think there are any screws in it

Mike

Here's a pic of the center vent. Mine has some chunks missing from where it contacts the grill vent. I believe that there are some small flat clips that attach onto the grill vent that hold it onto the center vent but mine are missing.

p3040001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

p3040002.jpg

p3040003y.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Cruzzar

I believe these are the clips ... see pics.

If I am correct, the two pins on the clip go into the holes on the side of the register and a screw goes into the clip forcing the back side of the clip against the back side of the dash pad.

It has been a LOOONG time since I had my dash pad off, but mustangmaniac mentioned "2 metal clips" and it triggered my memory.

Knew I had a spare register, just had to dig in my clip drawer and "surprise" I've got 3 clips. Could not find a screw that looked right though. There are spots for two clips per side, but I think only 2 were ever used.

Doug

Just popped the dash off of my car as I got to rebuild the clutch pedal supports AS WELL AS replace the heater core.

Figured I'd have the correct clips installed but NOOOOOO there were two screws holding my vent in place.

Obviously 2 simple screws work as this had been my install since the early-mid 80's so if you don't have these clips this does work !!

Needless to say, I've put two of the correct retainers in now since I've got them.

Doug

This is where I got mine. It says that they only have 1 left but perhaps some other used Mustang/Couger dealers have them.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7az-14570-a.html

WOW ... $22.85 or $20.57 after web discount for 1 clip !!

From my pics (pg. 1) it looks like I found a total of 3 clips. Dug up my spare "vent assembly" and there was one clip with it so I must have used two for my vent. This extra one does not have the screw and I remember looking though all my black-oxide interior screws and could not find a match.

Mike ... may as well do what I had done to hold mine in place back in the 80's and just use #8 sheet metal screws (see pic on page 1). Turn them in just enough to where they start to bite into the vent bezel and hold it in place. This way they won't interfere with the vent rotation nor will you see them protruding inside vent.

Doug

I think I found a clip from a dealer, a little cheaper than WCCC too. The one I have is missing the screw but hopefully I can match the thread to a screw.

Those clips are an odd way to secure the center vent assembly aren't they??