Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

New Wheels and questions

Ok i picked up a set of used tires and rims last night....they are Niche wheels with Nitto 555 tires....I took a chance on these things fitting after taking some measurements......The rims are 20"x8.5" and the tires are a 255-35ZR20.....We test fitted them to my friends 69 mach with lowered suspension and all the goodies, and i could not believe they fit and did not rub ANYEHERE....except on those little rubber bumpers on the front coil spring covers, which can be removed....his rear end is from a Versales so its a bit more narrower than mine, and thus he had a good bit of room befoer it hit the rear fender lips, but my rear end is from a 71 mustang, so its a bit wider and thus pushes the tire out closer to the fender lip, but still fits....My question is this.......say i swap my axle housing for a narrower one, how Wide of a tire can i go with on an 8.5" Rim i would love something a bit wider than the ones i have on there now for the rear only, but the tires on the rims now are flush with the edge of the rim so i dont know that i can go any wider and keep the same sidewall..."thoughts????"

Oh i paid 500 buckarros for the rims and tires locally LOL, they came off of a ford ranger LOL.

Mike

I know people who have fit a 275 tire on an 08/09 Bullitt rim. They came with 8.5" out of the factory. I certainly wouldn't go any bigger than that. I have 275s on my 9" rims. Maybe split it and go 265 just to avoid issues with the differences in tires.

Thanks Ranger....how much wider would the 265 be over the 255 i now have?

its amazing to me how far in these rims sit on my friends car and how far out they stick on my car....he had an inch or more with that Versai rear end and im right on the inner lip:P

I may put a stock length housing in my car to suck the rim in more.

Mike