Sign in to follow this  
KT 69

3-Point Seat Belt Conversion

Hi KT69...

I did it a few weeks ago.. easy Job ! in about 1/2 hour everything was done ! MU or Summit sells the complete KIT do do the swap.

I bought the stuff here in Germany ..for around 130 $ For the installation you have use the "old " threads / locations....

Greetings from Germany

Juergen

When I pulled the seats from a t-bird turbo coupe for my '70FB project, I also pulled the seat belts. I can't remember if the plastic surrounds/guides that I used were from the same car of not. You can use almost any late model front seatbelts to do the conversion.

I had do make a steel plate adaptor that I bolted to the retractors on each side. These plates were attached to the pinch weld on the floor pan area under the fiberglass interior quarter panels. The most challenging part of the installation was the cutting of the holes for the plastic surrounds/guides that fill in the hole in the fiberglass and fit snugly around the seatbelts. These holes should be centered on the belt so the belt does not drag and allows the retractors to wind the belts back up when unbuckeled. You have to use these surrounds/guides or you will have abig hole around the belts. You need a hole large enough for the buckle to fit thru the fiberglass. I have also installed a roll bar using the same bracket which doesn't help visually to see but it has no bearing on the installation. I did have to add a bracket with spacer to the rollbar to provide space for the shoulder belt to pivot on without hitting the bar. Be sure to get all of the plastic covers with your belts when you pull them. Here are some pics.

p2110005t.jpg

p2110006.jpg

p2110007.jpg

p2150001k.jpg

p2150002.jpg

p2150003q.jpg

p2150004.jpg

Its doable. You could make a bracket that holds the retractor and attaches to the bolt that retained the original outer seat belt. A spacer would be required so the lap belt could still pivot on the bolt. A cover of some kind should be put around the retractor mechanism. People getting in the back seat would have to step over the retractor when getting in and out.

Its doable. You could make a bracket that holds the retractor and attaches to the bolt that retained the original outer seat belt. A spacer would be required so the lap belt could still pivot on the bolt. A cover of some kind should be put around the retractor mechanism. People getting in the back seat would have to step over the retractor when getting in and out.

bringing this post back from the dead...

Any recent experiences? I was thinking about the Wesco belts, but I don't know where the 3rd mounting point is (in the pic above, under the seat closest to the door, for the lap belt)

I was just about to order this one:

http://www.julianos.com/3_point_belt.html

because I like the little "arm" that the lap belts attaches to.

Has anybody recently done the install and can provide a link to the kit they purchased?