Sign in to follow this  
kennygunit

1969 Coupe 302 Tunning

I need help tunning my 1969 302 coupe's stock 2 barrel carburetor. I've got my timing set to 6 BTC, and .017 in my points (i'm not even sure if thats right). Im trying to get more performance out of it.

Does anyone know where i should start with my tunning, and what everything should be set at?

Its a stock 302, c4 automatic, has a K&N filter, open PCV system (14"x3" air filter).

Thanks!

You'll get several answers, but I'll tell you how mine is set.

First, unless you care about originality get rid of your points and get a petronix put in.

I set my timing so it started to ping and then backed it off a bit. That gives it more pep. The best way is with a vacuum gauge, but my method works well. I don't use a timing light.

Of course, I'm assuming your carb is all good, meters are set rights, etc.

If you want more performance out of a 2v 302 (which is what I also have), you'll have to step up to a 4v, change exhaust, heads, etc. The possibilities are endless.

You could also change out your rear gear ratio. I like my cruising gears with the 3 speed auto, but some 3.73s or so would liven it up quite a bit.

rangerdoc pretty much gave you all the advice you need and definitely ditch that 2v and convert from points also 6BTDC seems prettly low to me might wanna bump that up some at the moment I believe mine is set to 10BTDC 6 just seems low my .02 cents

Edited by StephenC

...i would check the total Advanve @ 3500 rpm.. you should have 34 ° BTDC to be save... If you want...you can check the Initial Advance after you checked the total advance... but I never did it.. because the total advance is the important one...

.... and yes, after wards go for a test drive...and check for pinging sounds ( just to be sure ! )

Greetings from Germany

Juergen

I set my timing so it started to ping and then backed it off a bit. That gives it more pep. The best way is with a vacuum gauge, but my method works well. I don't use a timing light.

I am also a believer in timing by ear, every car is different and you should always give your car as much timing as it likes/requires, within reason of course. I check it with the light after just to note where I am, my car runs best at about 13* BTDC. The books tell you 6*BTDC which was the factory stock setting but that is enemic at best.

I also have the 302, and I think I am running about 14 degrees at idle. I went as high as I could without getting pinging on acceleration. I switched to electronic ignition a few years ago, but did not notice a huge improvement. That could be because I bought good Blue Streak points and changed them every 10,000 miles. The solid state ignition saved me replacing points.

For the carb, you might throw a rebuild kit at it. Verify there are no air leaks by spraying starter fluid around the base.

Other than that, make sure you have a clean dist cap, rotors, and plugs. Those are the easy, simple things.

Unfortunately, you will probably not get much more out of a stock 302 than what you have. I drive mine like my grandmother and still only get 15mpg in town.

Good luck,

Danno