Sign in to follow this  
69BLJadeConv

Installing Woodgrain on Door Panels

The door panel woodgrain piece do they come with the adhesive on the back or do you have to apply the adhesive yourself? If you have to apply your own what's the best product to buy? If you have to apply the adhesive yourself is it best to put it on the insert or on the door panel? Any tricks on installing the woodgrain would be appreciated.

Thanks, Robi

Edited by 69BLJadeConv

They are like big stickers, and you have to be very careful to get them straight and keep the bubbles to a minimum. The adhesive on them is very strong. No do-overs.

Thinking outside the box, couldn't you spray the surface with soapy water to allow repositioning of the decal? Similar to what they do to car graphics.

Not sure if the adhisv likes water. so I would say no.

I do a test fit to the panel and mark my starting point with tape and a few reference points in pencil.

When ready to apply the woodgrain, I peel back about 1 in of the backing from the edge and apply it to my marked starting point. ( I work from the top down using a spreader tool to smooth it)

Once you have it straight and smooth, slowly peel the backing away as you move your spreader across the woodgrain to remove air bubbles.

This was what I was getting at: http://www.sharpline.com/downloads/Wet_Application_Instructions.PDF

These are essentially vinyl graphics no? The water/soap is squeegeed out and helps removing air bubbles and repositioning it. If you don't get the water/soap solution squeegeed out, it will affect the bond.

I'm not 100% sure, just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has tried that method. I would assume the same principles apply, since car graphics use adhesive and are vinyl.

buening,

I had the same thoughts. Part time I use to applied a 3m paint protection film which is a clear material on the front of cars for rock chip protection. You used a soapy solution so you could move the piece around into position. I uses a squeege to move out any air bubbles. If it would work the same way it would be a piece of cake to put on. Just not sure this woodgrian stuff would act the same, but it might.

I appeciate all the replies.

i tried to apply a set of the woodgrain to the door panel trim. i was not successful. i didn't get it centered good enough, so i'll either need to try again or go a different route. i almost believe they don't have the same shape as what they are trying to fit into though.

it seems to be just like a sticker. i would be surprised if it liked water.

maybe someone will try the water method (and eat the cost of a new set of stickers if it doesn't work.....) and let everyone know how it goes!

I own a small Hydrographics business, and can apply woodgrain appearing films to any solid objects. Here is a link to some of the woodgrain films I can get. If anyone sees one they think would be close to the original grain, let me know. Maybe I'll do some test pieces when I get back from deployment.

http://www.filmpatterns.com/?page_id=53

I have access to other film manufacturers too, so I can find other grain samples if none in the link above look correct.