Sign in to follow this  
Bigk56

70 Sportsroof Project

Hello,

I've been a long time reader and thought it was time to post a pic of my project. This is when I brought it home two years ago. You could throw a cat through it about anywhere it is so rusty. I've made some headway since this photo but I have a long way to go.

Ken

Here are a couple of more pics of the pans. The rear floor pans were just as bad. The entire trunk looked like this also although I don't have a picture of the trunk before I started working on it. Someone had already cut out the battery apron and just stopped. The cowl is totally rusted out. The quarters are rusted out at the bottom and full of bondo at the top. As I write this I'm thinking, I must have been stupid to take this on. With that being sad, I really have enjoyed working on it and I guess thats all that matters.

There was no motor or trans with the car and it's not a Mach 1 so, I'm going to change things up a little. I have a tremec 5 speed out of an 05 mustang thats going in the car. I'm driving a 98 Mark viii which I have upgraded with the 98 cobra cams and cobra intake. I plan on mating this to the tremec and installing it in the mustang. I think I forgot to say the shock towers are in terrible shape so they won't be any big loss.

Ken

There was no motor or trans with the car and it's not a Mach 1 so, I'm going to change things up a little. I have a tremec 5 speed out of an 05 mustang thats going in the car. I'm driving a 98 Mark viii which I have upgraded with the 98 cobra cams and cobra intake. I plan on mating this to the tremec and installing it in the mustang. I think I forgot to say the shock towers are in terrible shape so they won't be any big loss.

Ken

Very cool, you've got a clean canvas to do your masterpiece (LOL). Years ago I had a '95 Mark VIII LSC and wished for 5-speed behind it. Then I had a '03 Mach 1 with the similar motor (DOHC 4.6 32-Valve) and a 5-speed and loved it. That is one motor that loves to rev. A newer front suspension and flatten out those shock towers and you'll be in business. Should be a blast.

Bill,

What gear rear did the 03 mach have in the rear end? Not sure what I need to run behind my setup.

Ken

Yeah, 3.55 was standard rear gear in the 03/04 Mach 1's. That put 70 mph just under 2000 rpms in 5th.

My present 70 Mach 1 with 351C-4V has a 3.00 rear axle. With the 5-speed I'm taching about 1800 rpms at 70 mph. Mine's not a high horsepower build and built more for cruising and fun. It still puts down about 260'ish rwhp but I've also gotten 26+ mpg on a trip running 60 to 65 mph.

FYI - I just sold my 01 Cobra early last year and had an 03 Cobra (both with the DOHC motor)

The DOHC is a great motor, but it likes the upper RPMs. I could drive both my cobras accelerating evenly and feel when it hit their power bands. If you want a good mid ground gear MOST of the guys with DOHC motors will tell you to get either a set of 3:90 or 4:10 gears. Yes, you will cruse at a bit of a higher RPM, but unless you're driving like John Force from every light your MPGs shouldn't change much if any.

Now, if you really want to have some grunt off the line, go with 4:30s or 4:546s.

If you go over to SVTPerformance.com when people ask about aftermarket gears on the DOHC cars you'll see a common phrase in almost all of the treads:

"don't fear the gear"

Before I sold my 01 Cobra, after doing a lot of reading, I was about to put a set of 4:10s or 4:30s in it because they seemed to be nice mid ground for HWY and City driving...and 75% of my driving was HWY.

Also, when I go to build my 69 w/ plans of a DOHC motor....I'll be going the same route.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, I actually ran across an entire 9" equa-lock chunk with 3:70 gears the other day. I was thinking it was a traction lock when I responded to the advertisement. However, when I got there and looked it over I felt like it was an equa-lock. I went ahead and bought it and then confirmed it was an equa lock when I got it home. I'm either gonna try to run it with the 3:70 gears or sell it and look for a traction lock with at least 3:70 or lower gears.

Ken

Obviously this is all predicated on what wheel/tire combo, what your first gear ratio your tranny has and obviously what you're goal for the car is, but most people find that a 3:73 (in a 8.8 rear obviously) is not quite enough for the 4.6s.

Most prefer to start at the 4:10....

Not trying to talk you into anything you just don't want to do, just relaying what others have experienced. Even with the 03 cobra I had which came with 3:55s, I think 4:10s would have suited it better.

Anyways...I'm just following along with your build as the DOHC motor is the way I eventually would like to go as well.

Good luck

Chris

Chris, Believe me, I appreciate all the advise I can get. Just ran across the chunk with 3:70s already installed so I was thinking I could try it. I am so ready to get to the running gear. I've spent my day so far welding in passenger side outer wheel well. I was hoping to get the quarter in also, but I don't think its going to happen today. After welding in toe boards, floor pans, whole trunk , and taillight panel, I'm about tired of welding.

Ken

That's cool, I completely understand where you're coming from. I was hoping I wasn't coming across like "You need to do THIS"...lol.

Its funny, you're tired of welding and I've been thinking I wish I knew how to weld (contemplating taking some classes...lol)