Sign in to follow this  
dpuwookie79

Wookie's 69 vert

Hey Wookie, just one note for you on the black out tail panel, if they haven't completely finished painting yet you may want to move that tape line down to the next lower crease and paint that extra 1" plus of area, this part doesn't get completely hidden by the bumper and seeing that one thin line of body color between the black and the chrome can look a bit odd some times.

Eh, I guess I'll see how it looks when I start putting things back together. We've already taken the car and are planning to move it back up to my place this next weekend. Hope it doesn't turn out to be an issue, but we'll see.

Edit: Pak, I see what you are saying. Here's another '69 vert that did something similar to me: http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/ford/1969-mustang-001.html

Edited by dpuwookie79

I see you opted not to use the maier trunklid. Probably a good decision. I've got over 40 hours invested in mine just to get it close to looking decent and I still have some work to do on the endcaps.

Rangerdoc and 70mstang had a difficult time with theirs as well.

All I can say is, when it's finally done, I hope I NEVER get rear-ended.

Agreed. When I started working with it, I thought fitment was going to be cake... but the more I read and played with it I learned that wasn't the case. You guys that have done the shelby/maier trunklid conversions have done an excellent job with them, though. They look great! I think I'm going to toss that piece up on ebay and see if there are any takers. If I ever do another build, it will be a mach 1, so I won't need it anyway. *dreaming*

I see you opted not to use the maier trunklid. Probably a good decision. I've got over 40 hours invested in mine just to get it close to looking decent and I still have some work to do on the endcaps.

Rangerdoc and 70mstang had a difficult time with theirs as well.

All I can say is, when it's finally done, I hope I NEVER get rear-ended.

Agreed. When I started working with it, I thought fitment was going to be cake... but the more I read and played with it I learned that wasn't the case. You guys that have done the shelby/maier trunklid conversions have done an excellent job with them, though. They look great! I think I'm going to toss that piece up on ebay and see if there are any takers. If I ever do another build, it will be a mach 1, so I won't need it anyway. *dreaming*

Eh, I guess I'll see how it looks when I start putting things back together. We've already taken the car and are planning to move it back up to my place this next weekend. Hope it doesn't turn out to be an issue, but we'll see.

Edit: Pak, I see what you are saying. Here's another '69 vert that did something similar to me: http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/ford/1969-mustang-001.html

It's actually a very common mistake, I almost made it myself until it was pointed out to me. When looking at the car, especially in pieces it is a natural conclusion to want to end the treatment higher. Regardless of how it was done at the factory, your car is a custom so it's only a problem if you see it as one, I usually try to point it out as soon as I know someone is doing this so they can check up on what they actually want so I hope I didn't cause an issue for you now by pointing it out too late.

Here's a quick photchop of that other car just so you can see the difference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10492&stc=1&d=1329168880

BTW, putting the Shelby decklid on my stock tail panel was by far the biggest nightmare on my project for sure, glad I did it now but probably never would again.

It's actually a very common mistake, I almost made it myself until it was pointed out to me. When looking at the car, especially in pieces it is a natural conclusion to want to end the treatment higher. Regardless of how it was done at the factory, your car is a custom so it's only a problem if you see it as one, I usually try to point it out as soon as I know someone is doing this so they can check up on what they actually want so I hope I didn't cause an issue for you now by pointing it out too late.

Here's a quick photchop of that other car just so you can see the difference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10492&stc=1&d=1329168880

BTW, putting the Shelby decklid on my stock tail panel was by far the biggest nightmare on my project for sure, glad I did it now but probably never would again.

Thanks for taking the time to shop that pak. I see what you mean. Honestly, I'm not sure which I like better. I don't hate the slip of orange between the black out and the bumper. I guess we'll see how it looks against grabber blue. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get it back together.

Thanks for taking the time to shop that pak. I see what you mean. Honestly, I'm not sure which I like better. I don't hate the slip of orange between the black out and the bumper. I guess we'll see how it looks against grabber blue. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get it back together.

Here's how mine was done. The only thing that I opted to do was keep the chrome tail light bezels over the flat black ones that were used on the Boss cars. I like the contrast of the the chrome better.

Did you paint on the black line that goes around the quarter extensions and the trunk lid? Due the the reflection in the picture you can't see mine that well but I had them put on as well.

Here's how mine was done. The only thing that I opted to do was keep the chrome tail light bezels over the flat black ones that were used on the Boss cars. I like the contrast of the the chrome better.

Did you paint on the black line that goes around the quarter extensions and the trunk lid? Due the the reflection in the picture you can't see mine that well but I had them put on as well.

I didn't have them painted on. I wasn't sure if you had added that or not. Like you said, it was kind of hard to tell ;-). I think it looks pretty good both ways to be honest. The more I look at the setup the orange '69 posted above has, I like the tail end. The extra color above the bumper and no extra stripe. I'll post some pics this weekend after I get it back in my own garage (weather permitting)!

I didn't have them painted on. I wasn't sure if you had added that or not. Like you said, it was kind of hard to tell ;-). I think it looks pretty good both ways to be honest. The more I look at the setup the orange '69 posted above has, I like the tail end. The extra color above the bumper and no extra stripe. I'll post some pics this weekend after I get it back in my own garage (weather permitting)!

Like I said with a custom all that matters is that you like it, what the factory did is irrelevant. Even though I painted mine black all the way down I did not paint the inside edge of my end caps. That is correct for Boss as you guys have it, not sure for Shelby since I have seen both ways but I decided on body color in the end. My main reason for my adding more black to the tail was that I have the pop open gas cap and the larger trim ring would cover the whole bottom edge making it look off center so having extra balck below it makes it look more optically correct.

Like I said with a custom all that matters is that you like it, what the factory did is irrelevant. Even though I painted mine black all the way down I did not paint the inside edge of my end caps. That is correct for Boss as you guys have it, not sure for Shelby since I have seen both ways but I decided on body color in the end. My main reason for my adding more black to the tail was that I have the pop open gas cap and the larger trim ring would cover the whole bottom edge making it look off center so having extra balck below it makes it look more optically correct.

As it turns out, the body shop did not cut holes for the hood scoop turn signals I was going to install. I have a stencil for it... but it makes me nervous to be grinding through metal on that fresh paint! Some shots of her outside:

Edited by dpuwookie79

As it turns out, the body shop did not cut holes for the hood scoop turn signals I was going to install. I have a stencil for it... but it makes me nervous to be grinding through metal on that fresh paint! Some shots of her outside:

Edited by dpuwookie79

Well at least the hood holes you have to drill for the signals will be hidden by the scoop so it doesn't have to be perfect. Just put lots of tape over the whole area and use a cut off wheel rather than a blade type saw, you should be fine, even a pro would be nervous the whole time with fresh paint so don't let that get in the way, have a quick nip first or something to keep the hands steady.

Well at least the hood holes you have to drill for the signals will be hidden by the scoop so it doesn't have to be perfect. Just put lots of tape over the whole area and use a cut off wheel rather than a blade type saw, you should be fine, even a pro would be nervous the whole time with fresh paint so don't let that get in the way, have a quick nip first or something to keep the hands steady.

Lay down painter's tape first then trace the stencil on the painter's tape and cut through that. The tape will hep prevent damage to the paint. Then you will need to paint the edges of the cut metal with a rust preventative. Just a cheap small paintbrush will work. I'm sure you already know but you'll definitely need to take the hood off of the car to get the best access to where you have to cut. You'll do just fine I'm sure.

Lay down painter's tape first then trace the stencil on the painter's tape and cut through that. The tape will hep prevent damage to the paint. Then you will need to paint the edges of the cut metal with a rust preventative. Just a cheap small paintbrush will work. I'm sure you already know but you'll definitely need to take the hood off of the car to get the best access to where you have to cut. You'll do just fine I'm sure.