Sign in to follow this  
ashleesmach1

Transmission fluid as engine flush

I just read that you can put a quart of transmission fluid in your cars engine. Run it for 5 minutes and of course then, drain. Refill with new oil and change filter. The article also says that some people run their engines with 4 quarts oil and one quart tranny fluid all the time. They say their engines are really clean when opened. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking about it. What's your two cents on this?

It is a great cleaner, on an old sludged up motor it works great. I had a friend that bought an old truck that was all sludged up from lack of oil changes and shorts miles had it had a lot of lifter noise , and after a couple of series of oil and atf it quieted right down and ran many years.

I wouldn't do it on anything but an old motor that had lack of service though.

Think for a minute. If you loosen that sludge up, where does it go? The ATF doesn't dissolve it? If you do loosen it up, it's all going to the oil pan to be sucked up into your oil pump. I wouldn't want to lubricate my motor with ATF and risk the bearings, crank, cam, rods, etc. Diesel fuel is just kerosene with some lubricating properties added to lubricate a diesel engine's fuel injectors. Put it into an engine and you're going to wipe the bearings out for sure. About the only way to get sludge out is to tear your engine down and run it through a cleaner. And if it's full of sludge, it's probably time for a rebuild.

It goes from your oil pump to the filter, thats why on an old motor with sludge you change the oil quickly. And for somebody with an old motor its worth a try to salvage it . There could be alot of life left in them I've seen it do good more than once. There was an logger friend of my dads that ran an old Ford f150 with a 360 motor and after it got 100k on the motor he would put 4 qts of oil and 1 qt of diesel in it and that truck went another 100k. I wouldn't do it but I've seen it done.

Edited by mcgirr455
spelling

why not just use like Pro-Tec engine flush? I revived a friends old 440 Mopar with a little driving, a flush or two, a coil, tuneup etc. The thing would smoke when you really stepped on it and wouldnt start when hot. By the end of summer it would put the car sideways at 50 mph and no smoke! Torquey engine, from 50-100 was very fast in a heavy car.

It goes from your oil pump to the filter, thats why on an old motor with sludge you change the oil quickly.

But first it goes through the oil pump. And when the filter fills up with crap, the bypass valve opens and now that crap is circulating through the engine. And how do you know when the filter is full? Sorry, but I don't believe in magic cures for things like this.

I just read that you can put a quart of transmission fluid in your cars engine. Run it for 5 minutes and of course then, drain. Refill with new oil and change filter. The article also says that some people run their engines with 4 quarts oil and one quart tranny fluid all the time. They say their engines are really clean when opened. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking about it. What's your two cents on this?

:thumbdown:.. use a quality oil.

Adding a qt of trans fluid is just thinning the remainder of the oil.

Now back in the 60-70's when lots of people were using the STP oil treatment for many differant reasons, you would remove a valve cover and find sludge build up.

What was done back then was run eng to operating temp and drain the oil. Pour in a gal of diesel and let the eng idle for 10-15 min. Idle only no revs.

Drain the oil and change the filter and toss in some 30 wt and drive.

I've done it on my 97 GMC, it worked out great. I've heard several ways to do it, some people do half ATF, half motor oil and let it run for about 15-20 minutes and dont run the shit out of it, in fact dont get about 3000rpms...

Rotella would also be a good thing to use, its like a detergent oil that people use in diesels

The ATF is just such a high detergent that it doesnt dissolve the sludge, it breaks it down into a thin liquid...

Edited by Trav_450R