Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

Another Hood Scoop Question

Is the hood scoop just bolted to the hood or is there some kind of gasket or something between the hood scoop and the hood? Also are hood scoops painted a simi gloss color. My car has a vinyl top and a shiny baby blue paint job. Just trying to decide on what color to paint the hood scoop. I think black will look good just need to know if simi gloss or shiny black or what.

I don't know the authentic answer to your question, but I have seen all of your examples in regards to the hood scoop. Flat and Gloss paint, as well as painted the same color as the car. I do not believe that there is a gasket between the scoop and the hood, but I could be wrong.

Yes, the scoop bolts directly on with no gasket. FWIW, I painted mine black (semigloss), and sitting in the middle of a Tangerine Orange hood, I think it looks pretty good. If you are doing a Mach hood, then you would not want a gloss finish on either hood or scoop, since the whole point was to reduce glare off the hood. But if you are away from factory stock with a contrasting hood color anyway, I would suggest semi-gloss. Easier to wax, and looks "right" next to a shiny hood, IMNHO.

Kinda thinking of going body color just not real sure about the paint matching. Although they say there is a way to match the paint if you don't have the color code. If i can match the color I'm also going to get the rear panel under the back bumper changed so I can put dual exhaust on it too where the tail pipes look correct.

My paint and body man looked it up for my 69 and it called for a low gloss Mercedes black. I can get the numbers if you decide to go that way. The body color looks good also. MrD2

I would like the paint code if you don't mind...

Kinda thinking of going body color just not real sure about the paint matching. Although they say there is a way to match the paint if you don't have the color code. If i can match the color I'm also going to get the rear panel under the back bumper changed so I can put dual exhaust on it too where the tail pipes look correct.

I live in a crap little town but, ask around, even we have a place where they come out and put a device on your hood and it makes a custom color code mix to match your car and if you know what sealer color was used it comes out great.