Sign in to follow this  
dzahm

69 vert cowl vent question

Crazy ques- how many cowl vents does a 69 vert have? I been looking at threads and I thought there are 2 but I can only find 1 (pass side) Is it hidden or did this change/ (or am I totally lost and they all have just 1)

Thanks- was looking for the source of my driver floor rust- clearly its not the cowl vent. (pass pan is MINT) so wheres the next most likely source? Winshield trim is off and windsheild looks well sealed. The car is otherwise rust free. kinda stumped- but I haven't tried the water hose trick

There's a vent on the driver's side kick panel and one on the passenger side kick panel. Then there's an inlet to the heater on the passenger side above the heater box which tends to rot and leak.

Thanks- was looking for the source of my driver floor rust- clearly its not the cowl vent. (pass pan is MINT) so wheres the next most likely source? Winshield trim is off and windsheild looks well sealed. The car is otherwise rust free. kinda stumped- but I haven't tried the water hose trick

Either leaking windshield seal leaking or years of wet or snow covered shoes, especially if the car was in snow country. I believe snow covered shoes where the snow melted into the carpet is why my floorpan rusted out at the base of the firewall.

If the fenders aren't off yet, pull off the drivers side and see if there is rust below where the windshield dumps all of the water. Mine had some cancer in that area.

Also in some cases I've seen windshields that looked fine but there was water that seeped in somewhere along the line and rusted behind the glass itself leaving holes. Finding this would be difficult without removing the glass, which is hard to do without cracking it.

As Always ..pics =)

My '70 had rust on the driver's side about under the driver's heel but none on the pass. side. I found out that the area under the windshield wiper motor does not drain water well and it rusted some pin holes in that area that allowed water to drop onto the rug and rust out some of the floor pan. You will need to either try to look up under the dash just to the right of the steering column (almost impossible to do unless you are about two foot tall) or pull the cowel, pull the wiper motor (only three bolts and a clip on the mechanism and see if it is rusted in that area. Good luck.

I found some pin holes in my 70 coupe in the same spot as Cruzzar. Wet leaves get stuck under the wiper motor I imagine. There's a bracket spot welded from the bottom side and mine rusted a little hole near that as well. I took the entire wiper motor and transmission out, dash out , put a lead light in the cowl and shut the lights off in the shop. Get in the car and you will see all the pin holes.

Then of course you just pull the windshield, rotate the car upside down on the rotisserie, stand through the windshield and weld them from under the dash while standing right side up. :001_huh: I wish someone else was in the shop that day, it would have made a wild looking photo.

Yep, only one- I thought someone had cut/rewelded mine but thankflly only one and its in good shape. So my water leak is elsewhere- maybe windsheild. Will post pics of the car soon. (when I figure out how to resize) David

Just becasue you don't have a vent on the driver side doesn't mean that the cowl isn't leaking there, it's still a very likely culprit simply because of the design. Even without years of debris and leaves and stuff the tiny drain holes that run off behind the front tires quite often got covered up at the factory with seam sealer and let water sit there from day one. Before digging into the windshield I would still dump a bucket of water in there and make sure it is draining properly and not onto the floor.

Thats next on the list- I just epoxy primed the rear qtrs, and trunk area. Now to the cowl area- I wanna run down the leak- from what I can see the cowl looks mint- drain holes are nice- but the drivers pan was GONE. Oddly except for the battery tray there was NO other rust- I'll post what I find for leaks