Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

2nd Place....Not bad

As some of you may know from my thread in the project forum I finally got her back on the road after having the engine and trans rebuilt. My first real road test was to a Central Virginia Mustang Club event in Richmond VA, about 50 or so miles from my house one way. I rode down in a group of nine other cars which consisted of two '70 Boss 302s, '70 fastback, '69 CJ Mach 1, '68 fastback, '65 fastback, '95 Saleen, '04 Bullit, late 60's CJ Torino, and mine.

This was my first time attending an all Mustang/Ford show. My car has never been one that I would consider a "show winner", and going up against so many other Mustangs I for sure didn't go with the expectations of winning anything. It was a judged show with 185 entries. I was entered into the '64 1/2 - '73 Modified Class.

I had gotten a lot of compliments on the car throughout the day which surprised me. There were a few "traditionalists" that didn't care for my take on a Boss 302 convertible, but for the most part I received a lot of compliments. I even met one of the forum members in person which was cool.

The end result.....I walked away with a 2nd place award in my class. Not too bad I don't think considering that I was in a tough class. The modified class opens the door to a huge variety of cars and was probably the largest of all the classes. BTW all ten cars in our group walked away with awards.

Hey congrats! Sounds like you won't be having many regrets for all the blood sweat and tears in fixing the run of bad luck you've had. I've found that 69' and especially 70' verts are usually the only one at a show or one of just a couple and often even when matched against a better car somehow earns some extra cred and comes out on top.

Hey congrats! Sounds like you won't be having many regrets for all the blood sweat and tears in fixing the run of bad luck you've had. I've found that 69' and especially 70' verts are usually the only one at a show or one of just a couple and often even when matched against a better car somehow earns some extra cred and comes out on top.

Thanks Pak.

I was indeed the only '70 vert at the show and there was only two other '69 verts. Some people don't realize how rare '70 verts are.

They are supposed to be mailing me my judging sheet which will be interesting to look at to see what I was dinged on.

I have to admit that receiving recognition for your work sure does make it all seem worth it. Later the same day I went to a local cruise and won one of three trophies for best Mustang as well.

2 shows in one day? Ok it's official, you are now a fanatic, you'll have this car for most of your life now. How did the road test go btw? You certainly should have shaken out any bugs in the 100+ miles you did.

Thanks Jay.

Pak,

The road test went well. My speedo cable is going to need to be replaced. It whines a bit and the needle bounces around below 35 mph. Other than that she's running a little hot, nothing hateful but hotter than usual, but I spoke to two other people that had their motor built by the same shop and they told me that theirs did the same for the first 1,000 miles. They said that everything in the motor is so tight it takes about the first 1k miles to really break it in.

I went to the cruise that evening to meet up with a few friends and some regulars had been asking about my car. They give out awards every weekend and I had been several times and never won anything. I think repainting the engine bay and have a pretty new motor is what has helped me out. Who knows.

As for the rest of the cars that went that day we had one guy break down when his electric fuel pump quit working. Cause was a blown fuse and some quick rewiring took care of it. Then a buddy of mine had just finished his '69 CJ Mach 1 and was taking it out for the first time. He broke down five different times on the way there and ended up having to tow it back home. He was having ignition problems that he couldn't get sorted out.

Awesome Big Secz! What a feeling that must have been! Modified class always gets a few purists that have to put in few more than their 2 cents worth. I know I'll get more than a few comments when I finally can get to a show LOL