Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Proper way to fill gas without it dumping all over the car?

I am getting sick of gas dumping all over the back of the tail panel/bumper, every time i fill up. I probably wasted 2 dollars in gas as it gurgled out 2 times before it actually filled the tank! (I'm also worried about it damaging the paint/chrome).

Is there a trick to filling these cars or does this just happen to everyone?

I am getting sick of gas dumping all over the back of the tail panel/bumper, every time i fill up. I probably wasted 2 dollars in gas as it gurgled out 2 times before it actually filled the tank! (I'm also worried about it damaging the paint/chrome).

Is there a trick to filling these cars or does this just happen to everyone?

Yea, that doesn't work for me either. I don't even get a first click, it overflows on the first click (doesn't cut off till the gas is gurgling out), and 9 times out of 10, it needs another 5 or so gallons before it overflows again (on the second click).

Yea, that doesn't work for me either. I don't even get a first click, it overflows on the first click (doesn't cut off till the gas is gurgling out), and 9 times out of 10, it needs another 5 or so gallons before it overflows again (on the second click).

Are you filling up at the same station / pump each time? The problem may be with the pump nozzle's overflow sensor.

Also, it sounds like your pump nozzles do not have that large rubber disc/seal that guards against backsplashing.

T.

Are you filling up at the same station / pump each time? The problem may be with the pump nozzle's overflow sensor.

Also, it sounds like your pump nozzles do not have that large rubber disc/seal that guards against backsplashing.

T.

I have the same problem. The Filler Neck on our "Older" cars is much larger that the ones made for Unleaded Gas only. That may be part of the problem. I keep an old towel in the trunk and stuff it between the bumper and the Tail Light Panel when filling up. That keeps the overflow from running down behind the bumper. Than I use the towel to wipe off the Panel. Not the best solution, but better than nothing.

Edited by jkskinsfan
Correct spelling

I have the same problem. The Filler Neck on our "Older" cars is much larger that the ones made for Unleaded Gas only. That may be part of the problem. I keep an old towel in the trunk and stuff it between the bumper and the Tail Light Panel when filling up. That keeps the overflow from running down behind the bumper. Than I use the towel to wipe off the Panel. Not the best solution, but better than nothing.

Edited by jkskinsfan
Correct spelling

What I have been doing is holding the hose perfectly vertical pushed as far in as it will go holding the little boot thing they have here in NY against the filler neck. I also lift the back of the handle up to point the end down into the filler neck. I then pump the gas slower than I would for my regular cars. This seems to work good for me, I have not spilled in a while. I never fill the car all the way because I have noticed gas will come out when I hit it hard if the tank is too full.

What I have been doing is holding the hose perfectly vertical pushed as far in as it will go holding the little boot thing they have here in NY against the filler neck. I also lift the back of the handle up to point the end down into the filler neck. I then pump the gas slower than I would for my regular cars. This seems to work good for me, I have not spilled in a while. I never fill the car all the way because I have noticed gas will come out when I hit it hard if the tank is too full.

I'm unable to ever get the gas nozzle in the filler neck far enough to make a seal with the rubber gromet.

Also I think most all newer cars fill from the top/side, not sure if this helps the pressure rise up an trigger the nozzle failsafe? Where are cars fill from the back/horizontally (with a larger tube) so the pressure doesn't build/trigger the failsaife in the same way?

I guess I will try and fill it much slower next time and see if that helps.

Hey Jcb-69cj - you should check the seal on your gas cap. Most likely it's faulty (why it's dumping gas out the back). I just changed my rear cap over to a locking/sealed race type. I used to have the worst smell of gas in the car while driving, I just figured it was normal being an old car and whatnot, changed the cap and now the smell is gone! When they get old the seal warps/dries out. You should look into that.

I'm unable to ever get the gas nozzle in the filler neck far enough to make a seal with the rubber gromet.

Also I think most all newer cars fill from the top/side, not sure if this helps the pressure rise up an trigger the nozzle failsafe? Where are cars fill from the back/horizontally (with a larger tube) so the pressure doesn't build/trigger the failsaife in the same way?

I guess I will try and fill it much slower next time and see if that helps.

Hey Jcb-69cj - you should check the seal on your gas cap. Most likely it's faulty (why it's dumping gas out the back). I just changed my rear cap over to a locking/sealed race type. I used to have the worst smell of gas in the car while driving, I just figured it was normal being an old car and whatnot, changed the cap and now the smell is gone! When they get old the seal warps/dries out. You should look into that.

I neglected to mention in my post that I replaced the original setup with the aftermarket one that has the twist on cap, so the problem hasn't happened since I did that, but I still keep it at 3/4's. Thanks for the advice, if you are smelling gas then you need to find the issue before taking your next and maybe last cruise.

I neglected to mention in my post that I replaced the original setup with the aftermarket one that has the twist on cap, so the problem hasn't happened since I did that, but I still keep it at 3/4's. Thanks for the advice, if you are smelling gas then you need to find the issue before taking your next and maybe last cruise.

I cut out the flapper valve from a donor car and welded into my filler pipe. I am in the process of putting my car back together so I can't comment on how it works but I see no reason why it won't. Here's some pics.

Here's the donnar pipe.

gemiscbodybody10.jpg

Here's the trap door that you need.

gemiscbodybody90.jpg

I just cut my filler tube in half about the same distance from the opening as the donor pipe's.

gemiscbodybody91.jpg

Here's the finished filler neck.

gemiscbodybody92.jpg

I cut out the flapper valve from a donor car and welded into my filler pipe. I am in the process of putting my car back together so I can't comment on how it works but I see no reason why it won't. Here's some pics.

Here's the donnar pipe.

gemiscbodybody10.jpg

Here's the trap door that you need.

gemiscbodybody90.jpg

I just cut my filler tube in half about the same distance from the opening as the donor pipe's.

gemiscbodybody91.jpg

Here's the finished filler neck.

gemiscbodybody92.jpg

Cruzzar, nice work! did it solve the problem? Does it just prevent gas from pouring out, or actually let you fill at full speed also? I always sort of assumed part of the problem is that our tanks are not vented, and that caused the fuel to back out. oops, just read, you don't have it in yet... cant wait to hear if it worked!!