Sign in to follow this  
RZ_70coupe

Question on 70 302 timing

Been working on getting my 70 on the road and now wondering HOW do you see the timming mark on the harmonic ballencer :scared:

Anyone got some pics or ANYTHING that will help here :helpsmilie:

4950127410_fd0f7df9f7.jpg

Edited by RZ_70coupe

Been working on getting my 70 on the road and now wondering HOW do you see the timming mark on the harmonic ballencer :scared:

Anyone got some pics or ANYTHING that will help here :helpsmilie:

4950127410_fd0f7df9f7.jpg

Edited by RZ_70coupe

Cross flow radiator and drivers side water pump = rough time seeing pointer. You may have to line the pointer up with the initial timing you want on the balancer and then, on the other side where you can see, make a mark on the balancer and another reference mark on the timing cover or something. Never tried it but I cant think of any other options for you off the top of my head.

Cross flow radiator and drivers side water pump = rough time seeing pointer. You may have to line the pointer up with the initial timing you want on the balancer and then, on the other side where you can see, make a mark on the balancer and another reference mark on the timing cover or something. Never tried it but I cant think of any other options for you off the top of my head.

yeah, everyone that builds SB's long enough will learn this... the hard way lol.

I've mixed and matched many year parts and there's many combinations that work but you have to know the tricks.

The first time I found this I just didnt use the timing mark.

On the 302 in my Fox body (non original block) I switched to reverse WP and had this problem because I had an older Balancer. I just manually found TDC, made a mark and even made a pointer out of sheet metal. It's close enough for initial then I tune by ear and then by vacuum gauge.

u can also use timing tape from Mr Gasket and get a new pointer for the pass. side off from almost any SB from the 70's or 80's.

On my 289 I switched the balancer, used the aftermarket one below

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C4269/ because it has both 3 bolt and 4 bolt and came with every year spacer available so you can use whatever year WP and pulley set up you want which helps play with fan clearance, and then I just used a later model passenger side timing pointer.

good luck

oh, and here's the thread Pak was looking for

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=6620&page=2

yeah, everyone that builds SB's long enough will learn this... the hard way lol.

I've mixed and matched many year parts and there's many combinations that work but you have to know the tricks.

The first time I found this I just didnt use the timing mark.

On the 302 in my Fox body (non original block) I switched to reverse WP and had this problem because I had an older Balancer. I just manually found TDC, made a mark and even made a pointer out of sheet metal. It's close enough for initial then I tune by ear and then by vacuum gauge.

u can also use timing tape from Mr Gasket and get a new pointer for the pass. side off from almost any SB from the 70's or 80's.

On my 289 I switched the balancer, used the aftermarket one below

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C4269/ because it has both 3 bolt and 4 bolt and came with every year spacer available so you can use whatever year WP and pulley set up you want which helps play with fan clearance, and then I just used a later model passenger side timing pointer.

good luck

oh, and here's the thread Pak was looking for

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=6620&page=2

Thanks All.

In researching this I found the previus owner had given me a Harmonic Ballencer from some unknown ford engine. So I ordered a replacement for $65 so I do not screw up something internaly. I am going to fab a timing pointer for the passenger side and scribe TDC. Hope to have this started this weekend. Then all I need to install are the doors, fenders, grill, bumper, dash, hood, seats.......... :scared:

Thanks All.

In researching this I found the previus owner had given me a Harmonic Ballencer from some unknown ford engine. So I ordered a replacement for $65 so I do not screw up something internaly. I am going to fab a timing pointer for the passenger side and scribe TDC. Hope to have this started this weekend. Then all I need to install are the doors, fenders, grill, bumper, dash, hood, seats.......... :scared:

my 70 parts 302 has a passenger side timing pointer. I'll have to check if the timing cover is different to allow it or not, if not I could send it to you if it helps.

Thanks for the offer, I realized a few months back the timing cover I have is off a newer 302. So I'll need to fab one. Love buying cars that have already been disassembled :surrender:

my 70 parts 302 has a passenger side timing pointer. I'll have to check if the timing cover is different to allow it or not, if not I could send it to you if it helps.

Thanks for the offer, I realized a few months back the timing cover I have is off a newer 302. So I'll need to fab one. Love buying cars that have already been disassembled :surrender:

I believe the 70 timing pointer offered would still work, the only dif. in the newer covers regarding the timing pointer area is sometimes a length of boss over there (which is fixed by a spacer and longer bolt) or a crank sensor on some which you just take off.

you could also get one of the fancy billet adjustable ones... I personally spend my money elsewhere.

fms-m-6023-b351_w.jpg

I believe the 70 timing pointer offered would still work, the only dif. in the newer covers regarding the timing pointer area is sometimes a length of boss over there (which is fixed by a spacer and longer bolt) or a crank sensor on some which you just take off.

you could also get one of the fancy billet adjustable ones... I personally spend my money elsewhere.

fms-m-6023-b351_w.jpg