Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

these cars this slow?

I had 70 351 M Code with 3.0 gears and 600 Holley. Would squeal in 1st and sometime chirp in 2nd with 15s x 245s. Did a stoplights heads up against a 2005 GT - first few hundred feet I held my own but after that I got toasted.

Wow, 4.10 with those tranny gears would make 1st gear almost useless with a 408 pushing it. Might go 373 though.

It wouldn't be useless. It would get you outta the whole really well wich is what you need to get a good 60' time. One of my setups once consisted of a T5 five speed with 3.27 first gear and 4.10's. I had to shift fast but it came off the line in a hurry. I've been drag racing for 15 years. Like I said earlier, if you aren't going to be doing alot of highway driveway go with the 4.10's. If you want a little better cruising speed go with the 3.73's. Either way you only looking at about 300 rpm difference.

The 4.11 gear behind the OD tranny is a bit overkill...Runragged had a 410 rear with the TKO 500 and 1st gear didnt really do a whole lot for us LOL soon as you left the line you were shifting...3.73's the way to go, he went with 3.50's and is super happy.

I would imagine a Stock 351 4b car with a set of Street Et's on it would lay down some high 13s' ...my 1977 Trans am with Stock 455 was running 14.30s at 101...dropped some tires on it, and she hit the 13's easy....60' was a 2.20 LOL tires and a cam swap, and a better cast itron head took it to 12.70's with a 1.74 60'.

You drop some gear in that thing and it will help the seat of the pants slugish feel if all the other things are tuned right and the car is running well.

Mike

yeah 3.73 would be my choice. They are the best all around gear for street and track with overdrive. With that TKO yeah your shifting fast just as I was with my T5 but with an automatic it doesn't matter. No doubt if you go from a 3.00 gear to a 3.73 your gonna gain around .40 in the 1/4.

Well the 69 Vert I road in today would lay a patch without thinking about it and it's a fresh rebuilt 351w not even broke in, still tuning it and the used Carter has a flat spot off idle. Gears will help but something else is wrong. Convertor perhaps?

It wouldn't be useless. It would get you outta the whole really well wich is what you need to get a good 60' time. One of my setups once consisted of a T5 five speed with 3.27 first gear and 4.10's. I had to shift fast but it came off the line in a hurry. I've been drag racing for 15 years. Like I said earlier, if you aren't going to be doing alot of highway driveway go with the 4.10's. If you want a little better cruising speed go with the 3.73's. Either way you only looking at about 300 rpm difference.

Maybe Ill go in the middle with some 3.90's

Back before I changed my '70 to a more road racing suspension with a 302/C4/3-1pegleg I would do 15.8's in the quarter.

On a side note I bought an '88 LX 5.0L 5speed new and right out of the gate I was doing 14.19's with it, stock.