Sign in to follow this  
Wade

interesting history for 1969 Mustang??

I just got an application for for a car show and they want:

"In about 30 words, please provide an interesting history of your car which may be included in the printed program........ (goes on to say).... This can relate to the car's design or manufacture, aspects of the particular model..."

So I do not know of any "interesting aspects", it is what it is, a Mach 1 sportsroof with a 390. I don't have anything else to add.

Any thoughts that may be of interest?

"In about 30 words, please provide an interesting history of your car which may be included in the printed program........ (goes on to say).... This can relate to the car's design or manufacture, aspects of the particular model..."

So I do not know of any "interesting aspects", it is what it is, a Mach 1 sportsroof with a 390. I don't have anything else to add.

If it were me I think I might talk about Larry Shinoda. Granted he did more of the Boss stuff for 69' but his span at Ford was short lived and his design influence can clearly be seen in the Mustang vs. the previous years Corvette, especially on the arrow shaped hood running into the hood scoop.

That or talk about how this was the first year for the mach 1 and it was such a powerful and influential introduction that it dethroned the GT model completely from the line up the following year.

There's tons of stuff to talk about if you look into the history of the Mustang a little.

If it were me I think I might talk about Larry Shinoda. Granted he did more of the Boss stuff for 69' but his span at Ford was short lived and his design influence can clearly be seen in the Mustang vs. the previous years Corvette, especially on the arrow shaped hood running into the hood scoop.

That or talk about how this was the first year for the mach 1 and it was such a powerful and influential introduction that it dethroned the GT model completely from the line up the following year.

There's tons of stuff to talk about if you look into the history of the Mustang a little.

You have to point out that the 1969 Mustang was the only year of the early Mustangs that had 4 headlights thereby making it the best looking Mustang, ever! The Shinoda/Boss 302 connection is worth noting and may owners have incorporated features from the Boss 302 into their cars.

Wow! Only 30 words, that would be difficult to limit myself to such a low number. (LOL)

Pick a few for here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_Mach_1

Thanks for the suggestions, it is supposed to be a Concours d' Elegance show and I'm only entering in the "show only" part, not to be judged. I've had about a dozen or so mustangs and my first one was a 1976 mustang II(pinto really... feels a bit like going to AA when you admit to owning one of them :) . All the others have been newer GT's. My favorite style is the 1969 because of the 4 headlights and the side scoops. I also have good memories of a 1972 Mach 1 my buddy had when we used to cruise around in during my high school days.

I've enjoyed cars to drive and never got into the debates about history or why Ford is better then GM products or vice versa.... or other makes for that matter.

I didn't catch your meaning mach1rider... dearborn made car? The one I have was built in San Jose' and was purchased at a dealership in Washington State. I've always wanted to search the archives for the local newspaper and find an ad for that dealership in 1969 advertising the Mustang.

Thanks for those links guys... both of those pages have some great "interesting" information. Should wow a few folks.

Edited by Wade

I didn't catch your meaning mach1rider... dearborn made car? The one I have was built in San Jose' and was purchased at a dealership in Washington State. I've always wanted to search the archives for the local newspaper and find an ad for that dealership in 1969 advertising the Mustang.

He was talking about his car, not yours.

They way I read the request was that they were asking 30 words of interesting history about YOUR car....and then go on to include history of the model as well.

If your particular car has something interesting about it that separates it from other production Mustangs of the time, I think that is what they may be primarily looking for. Maybe you could talk about the restoration, if it had one, or the fact that few Machs had 390s, etc

While looking up more facts about the Mach 1 I found this little tangent: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3404706997.html

I did not know Yeager flew that day with a serious injury that he concealed:

"Because of his injury, he was unable to close the plane's right side door, but he solved the problem by taking the handle of a broomstick with him and using it to close the door with his left hand."

Maybe he didn't care because he was going to a place no other had, Mach 1. If he were found to have the injury they would not let him fly. Anyway, that was an interesting story.

While looking up more facts about the Mach 1 I found this little tangent: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3404706997.html

I did not know Yeager flew that day with a serious injury that he concealed:

"Because of his injury, he was unable to close the plane's right side door, but he solved the problem by taking the handle of a broomstick with him and using it to close the door with his left hand."

Maybe he didn't care because he was going to a place no other had, Mach 1. If he were found to have the injury they would not let him fly. Anyway, that was an interesting story.

You need to rent or download the movie "The Right Stuff". There is a part in there where they show him using the broom handle.

I've found conflicing stories, so not sure on if this is the correct year or not.

Pulled from a on-line search

In 1969, the first intermittent wipers were introduced with an adjustable delay between wipes, making it possible to select the degree of wiping action required. Robert Kearns is the recognized inventor of this system although it took years of effort and legal action before he was compensated.

I've found conflicing stories, so not sure on if this is the correct year or not.

Pulled from a on-line search

In 1969, the first intermittent wipers were introduced with an adjustable delay between wipes, making it possible to select the degree of wiping action required. Robert Kearns is the recognized inventor of this system although it took years of effort and legal action before he was compensated.