Sign in to follow this  
jholmes217

dipstick tube frustration

Hey all. I got the engine and transmission put together and installed it into my 69 Mustang on SAT. I broke the oil dipstick tube as I was putting it back in the engine, but was able to get it all back out. Now I bought chrome Ford Racing engine and transmission dipsticks, and neither of them wants to go in down to the ridge or O ring either. I afraid to really pound on them to get them in again since I've already had to replace one dipstick.

What I've done in the past prior to this engine was use a rifle bore cleaning brush in the dipstick tube hole in the front cover to make sure it's clean, and put a light film of oil on the bottom of the dipstick tube. Last thing was put a small ring of gasket sealer just below the ridge to prevent leaks. I would then tap it in using a rubber or wood mallet. That's not working in this case though.

Any of you guys have any tricks to make this easier? I haven't tried grinding/sanding the chrome and maybe some material off of the bottom of the tubes yet, but that might be the next step.

I have three kids, so it's not a problem of finding the hole LOL

Hey all. I got the engine and transmission put together and installed it into my 69 Mustang on SAT. I broke the oil dipstick tube as I was putting it back in the engine, but was able to get it all back out. Now I bought chrome Ford Racing engine and transmission dipsticks, and neither of them wants to go in down to the ridge or O ring either. I afraid to really pound on them to get them in again since I've already had to replace one dipstick.

What I've done in the past prior to this engine was use a rifle bore cleaning brush in the dipstick tube hole in the front cover to make sure it's clean, and put a light film of oil on the bottom of the dipstick tube. Last thing was put a small ring of gasket sealer just below the ridge to prevent leaks. I would then tap it in using a rubber or wood mallet. That's not working in this case though.

Any of you guys have any tricks to make this easier? I haven't tried grinding/sanding the chrome and maybe some material off of the bottom of the tubes yet, but that might be the next step.

I have three kids, so it's not a problem of finding the hole LOL

When the oil dip stick broke off, did it shear at the timing chain cover. If it did, did you get all the broken off piece out? It goes in about an inch or so. I had to remove the oil pan and tap the peice out from the bottom side. If you already have all the piece out, I carefully took a punch and tapped the new one in using the compressed ridge that seats the tube into the hole.

When the oil dip stick broke off, did it shear at the timing chain cover. If it did, did you get all the broken off piece out? It goes in about an inch or so. I had to remove the oil pan and tap the peice out from the bottom side. If you already have all the piece out, I carefully took a punch and tapped the new one in using the compressed ridge that seats the tube into the hole.

The dipstick broke only on one side, so it didn't break in two. I was able to carefully twist the whole thing out without breaking it the rest of the way. After doing some research, I've also heard that sticking the tube in the freezer for a couple hours, then installing it while it's still cold should help too. I will sand off the chrome on the bottom also and try again.

The dipstick broke only on one side, so it didn't break in two. I was able to carefully twist the whole thing out without breaking it the rest of the way. After doing some research, I've also heard that sticking the tube in the freezer for a couple hours, then installing it while it's still cold should help too. I will sand off the chrome on the bottom also and try again.

Take a wrench that barley fits around the tube & slide it down to the ridge. Hit the wrench with a hammer. As stated above you may need to grind/sand off some chrome. Even if you can not get it fully seated but are no leaks you can remark the dipstick.

Take a wrench that barley fits around the tube & slide it down to the ridge. Hit the wrench with a hammer. As stated above you may need to grind/sand off some chrome. Even if you can not get it fully seated but are no leaks you can remark the dipstick.

Not sure this would work since this dipstick has a fixed mounting tab. I could try with something similar though, like a crescent wrench.

I hear you Mike. I'm dying to hear the thunder! I've been turning wrenches on this engine since November as time, kids, and honey-do list would allow.

Edited by jholmes217

Not sure this would work since this dipstick has a fixed mounting tab. I could try with something similar though, like a crescent wrench.

I hear you Mike. I'm dying to hear the thunder! I've been turning wrenches on this engine since November as time, kids, and honey-do list would allow.

Edited by jholmes217