buening

The T56 conversion into a 70 Mach 1

Hydro bearing pulled today and was directed by ModernDriveline to disassemble the bearing to look for damaged seals. I did find one seal that was damaged in two spots.

231-031013085806-225534.jpeg

231-031013085805-224483.jpeg

231_24_07_10_2_46_01.JPG

McLeod noticed a green grease on the bearing pictures and asked if I added grease, which would contaminate the brake fluid in the piston. The green grease is actually leaking from the bearing piece as far as I can tell. Below are pictures illustrating this grease. I'm still waiting on the final word from ModernDriveline, who is working with McLeod on this issue. Bruce has been great to work with, and isn't pleased with this immediate failure on a newly redesigned throwout bearing.

Note the green grease at the interface of the inner bearing race and the black piston

231-031013085857-2281247.jpeg

Front of the bearing with grease visible

231_27_07_10_8_05_12_4.JPG231-031013085858-2321683.jpeg

Backside of the bearing. Note the beading up of brake fluid near the joint of the inner race and the black seal

231-031013085858-2311323.jpeg

Green grease line on piston from leaking bearing

231-031013085857-229132.jpeg

another pic of the piston with the grease

231-031013085858-230675.jpeg

Basically, from my armchair analysis the bearing leaked the grease which then got into the piston cylinder. That contaminated the brake fluid and caused the cylinder walls to have remnants of grease, which likely increased friction on the cylinder walls and caused the seal to blow. Thats my theory anyways. So now I'm just waiting on McLeod to determine what the issue was (I haven't told them my theory, although its probably obvious to them). I haven't heard back since the question about if I added the green grease.

Here is an update that I received from Bruce at Moderndriveline:

I just got off the phone with the tech the did the repair. He replaced the inner/back housing and replaced the o-rings with a different model. They are also polishing the piston to make is smoother. The bearing was replaced as well.

It sounds to me like it was not something I did but the bearing itself failed. They seemed reluctant to explain what caused the failure from what I can tell. I'm expecting shipment of the bearing today and I'll be putting everything back together for a 2nd time this weekend. Cross your friggin fingers!

Its back on the road biotches! Put about 10 miles on it today and its driving normal. Spent the good part of the weekend getting the car back together after receiving the repaired hydro bearing.

I spoke with McLeod and they said that they believe the issue was the O-rings. With their new version of the bearing they chose to use a new material for their O-rings, which were supposedly superior to the previous ones. They pulled every one of the bearings on their shelves and went back to the previous O-rings including mine. My fingers are crossed for a long bearing life. The main thing I have left to do is to fabricate my engine crossmember that bolts to the bottom of the shock towers. With the engine lowered and relocated, it'll have to be a custom piece

Well with the 3.00 pegleg I haven't gotten into 6th yet. I'm guessing I was around 65 when in 5th and only 2000rpms. I haven't gotten to the electronic speedometer purchase yet, so I only have a tach to go off of.

Well with the 3.00 pegleg I haven't gotten into 6th yet. I'm guessing I was around 65 when in 5th and only 2000rpms. I haven't gotten to the electronic speedometer purchase yet, so I only have a tach to go off of.

wow... thats gonna be nice if your doing long trips...

any vibration from the driveline? ill try and duplicate your angles if i can...:biggrin:

The gears are only temporary until I get to rebuild the rear. It'll have 3.89 gears and a True Trac locker. While the car isn't weak in 1st and 2nd, it definitely isn't a stump puller. I'll still only pull 2200rpms in 6th gear at 70mph with the 3.89s and get much better performance down low.

If you want to keep your factory mechanical speedometer, the retrofit T56 that I purchased from D&D Performance in Wixom, MI has a mechanical output speedo sensor. I can't remember, but it might also have an electrical output as well should you desire that as well...

I really appreciate your thread on the T56 install - I've had mine for a while, but I'm finally about ready to start back on the old Mustang project. I was going to modify my trans tunnel, but now I'm considering simply lowering the engine/trans to fit like you did. Have you been able to put a bunch of miles on the car? Any issues with driveline vibration?

Thanks,

Scott

D&D won't sell crap unless I buy the entire transmission from them. Modern Driveline said i could convert it to a mechanical speedo, but it'd end up being around $800 by the time I buy the tailshaft and a few other things. I have my eye on the silver Stewart Warner Maximum Performance gauges, just waiting on a deal and I'll bite.

No problem and good luck with the install! Let me know if I can help in any way, been there done that ;) I've only put about 30 miles on it and then I blew the front tire. The other three tires were weather cracked and the old rims are really rusty, so I parked the car for the winter and will be getting some new shoes come spring.

Definitely no issues with vibration. I've gotten the car into 6th gear, such a sweet feeling. Keep in mind lowering the engine will require a custom crossmember that bolts to the front frame rails beneath the oil pan. You may get by with using the stock one with 1/2" drop, but any more than that and you'll have to make one. Another thing I still need to do over the winter.

I don't live too far from them - if you want I can find out if they'll hook me up with a spare since I've bought a few things from them in the past (including my trans).

As for the dropped motor, I'll probably wind up making a new crossmember

anyways since I intend to go dry sump. Relocating the engine rearward would be nice as well as long as everything else fits:) I'm at that point where I'm trying to figure out how far is too far with the mods, especially when it comes to the suspension. Do I stick with bolt-ons, or go a bit further...:001_rolleyes:

Yeah if you want, I just remember it was a bit more than just a tailshaft swap. Let me know what you find out.

Dry sump eh? Nice! I've documented everything that should be in the way once you slide the motor back, so that should give you an idea of how much you can move things around.

LOL, you guys and your videos! Haven't gotten a video yet. No video camera mount on my car and its a bit difficult steering, shifting, and holding a video camera ;)

Doing well on the road. I have a bit of engine vibration around 3k rpms that I'm trying to nail down. Still no speedometer yet and I'm soon adding a Crane Hi-6 ignition box, which will knock out my tachometer too. I also need to make my engine crossmember before taking it too far. Too much yard crap and a 9mo old daughter has taken my stang time to a screaching halt.

LOL, you guys and your videos! Haven't gotten a video yet. No video camera mount on my car and its a bit difficult steering, shifting, and holding a video camera ;)

Doing well on the road. I have a bit of engine vibration around 3k rpms that I'm trying to nail down. Still no speedometer yet and I'm soon adding a Crane Hi-6 ignition box, which will knock out my tachometer too. I also need to make my engine crossmember before taking it too far. Too much yard crap and a 9mo old daughter has taken my stang time to a screaching halt.

I know what ya mean.. life happens .. no doubt.. forgot about your engine vibration, let us know how it goes.

I know what ya mean.. life happens .. no doubt.. forgot about your engine vibration, let us know how it goes.

The image hosting site crashed and lost all my pictures. I'm working on getting them uploaded again.

Edit: Wow that sucked. They should all be showing now. Thank goodness for my good descriptions before the pics, so that I knew what picture went where!