Sign in to follow this  
flight96

Front Brake/Bearing Questions

Hey All, I am planning on replacing my front disc brakes this weekend. Rotors, calipers and Pads. The car came with front disc so It should be fairly simple. However, if I have learn't anything during this build, it's that NOTHING is as easy as it first seems !! So here's the question(s).... 1. How do the rotors come off the spindle? Is it just a castle nut and cotter pin ? 2. I'm guessing new bearings would be the prudent way to go, is there any trick or anything I should be aware of when installing new bearings ??? ie how to seat the bearings.... 3. If you can think of any tips or advice I should know PLEASE let me know !!!Thanks in advance all for any help.

Although I have never replaced the rotors on a Mach I have replaced several on newer vehicles, trailers, etc. I would assume the process is the same.

Hopefully, your new rotors will come installed with new races already in them. If so they should come with new bearings as well. If you don't have a bearing greaser you can put grease on your hand and slide the open spots on the top and bottom of the bearing through the grease repeatedly to get a good supply of grease in the bearing.

Also, make sure you get new seals for your new rotors.

A castle nut and cotter pin and maybe a washer is all that holds the rotor on. If it were me after a greased the bearing and placed a little extra in the hub I would slide the rotor (inner bearing and seal installed) on the spindle install outer bearing, tighten nut and back of 1/4 to 1/2 turn or until the rotor turns smoothly without any top to bottom play.

Also, I can't remember if you are replacing calipers but if not I use either a manual c clamp or c clamp vice grips to get the caliper piston back in so you can slide it and your new pads over the new rotor. Do this very slowly a little bit at a time so you don't bust your piston. Also leave your old brake pad installed over the piston when compressing it back into the caliper.

This is really a simple, fun, and rewarding project as it is easy and can be accomplished in not much time.

I notices you are replacing the calipers so don't forget to bleed the air out of the lines. You will probably need a helper to pump and hold brakes while you let the air out. Keep an eye on the amount of brake fluid in the chamber. If you don't you may get almost all the way done and suck some more air in the line and have to start over again.

Hmmm...I've always read that when bleeding, you start from the farthest and move your way back to the closest. I just checked the haynes manual and it states "longest first." So it would be RR, LR, RF, LF. But double check that.

Thanks all for the advice. I know about the bleeding part...Lord knows I've bled many a brake line. The rotors don't have the bearings inc. but I am gonna replace the bearings as well. Seems kinda silly not to. Im picking them up tomorrow. Any tricks to the bearing install ? I'm gonna check the shop manual for any help they have, hopefully I don't need a bearing press or anything silly like that.