Sign in to follow this  
StephenC

Will these headers fit my engine?

From my experience with headers, you need to find a header that is made specifically for a 351w. The ones that are for a 302 usually hit the floor boards due to the increased deck height of the 351. I would guess that you would have some fit issues with those headers.

a lot of people said the same thing to me about using headers for standard port heads on a 351W with the high port heads i have. even with the FPA headers (claims they fit close to the floor for standard port heads) i still had nice clearance there. it seems with a lot of people claiming about how the headers hang low that it would work in your favor to run a 302 header on a 351W. however i would me more concerned about the headers hitting other obstacles before a concern about the floor. i think it's hit or miss. however, you should have a higher probability that they won't fit because if they did, i would think they would advertise inclusion of a 351W.

6T9mach have you installed 302 headers on a 351W before or were you speaking in general of header fitment?

That link is for 65-70 mustangs, not a 5.0. FWIW, they most likely don't make a 351w header. Hooker doesn't make a special 351w header AFAIK. I have their Comp headers that are the same ones used on the 302's. The manufacturers most likely made the headers so they fit the 351w, and said that they will fit all SBF motors. This is why people with 289/302s always complain of ground clearance issues or need a PS drop bracket, whereas I didn't need the bracket and ground clearance is excellent. My 2cents

6T9mach have you installed 302 headers on a 351W before or were you speaking in general of header fitment?

I tried using Hooker Comp headers that were made for 289/302/351w. My engine sits low to start with and the headers still hit the floor boards. I've seen other sets of 302 specific headers and they all were short in depth.

I tried using Hooker Comp headers that were made for 289/302/351w. My engine sits low to start with and the headers still hit the floor boards. I've seen other sets of 302 specific headers and they all were short in depth.

Are they Hooker Comps or Hooker Super Comps? I've heard the Super Comps touch the floors but hadn't heard that with the Comps. I have the Comps in my car and they clear the floor board. I did have collector reducer interference with the trans tunnel support and had to dent the pipe.

Are they Hooker Comps or Hooker Super Comps? I've heard the Super Comps touch the floors but hadn't heard that with the Comps. I have the Comps in my car and they clear the floor board. I did have collector reducer interference with the trans tunnel support and had to dent the pipe.

They were Hooker Competition headers; not the Super Comps.