Sign in to follow this  
Greenbay stang

wheel Hop help

A couple of weeks ago I took the stang out for a drive. Figuing I now have about 500-600 miles on the complete restore it would be OK to burn the tires and see if everything could take the stress. I had a horrible suprise. The rear wheel hopped like no car I ever had. Is this common in Mustangs? I am assuming the fix is traction bars. Who is using the Shelby style bars? I was thinking of the Cal-trac but from what I have heard they would grab too hard and make it difficult to burn the tires.

Please note its not like I am trying to roast the tires at every stop light. When I go out with the crowd I run with at some point if I can not light them up I will get clowned, and it may be worse when my wife can do it in our 70 Challenger.

Just for referance I am running mid-eye leafs on the rear with KYB shocks.

Not sure if it's possible to have traction bars "grab too hard". I'd look for an adjustable set if you are worried. A Little axle wrap is good as it helps to absorbe the shock of a sudden launch. Too much axle wrap and you get wheelhop.

From a pure burnout perspective you'd want them as tight as possible. For the quickest launches possible, you'll want to allow a small amount of wrap.

I had really bad wheel hop before i put my traction bars on. I also run KYB rear shocks. I went with the lakewood universal traction bars. For the money they are great, ordered them from summit racing. The only thing is that they hang a little low, the shelbys would tuck up under better.

Slapper bars are better than nothing. They do help but not as much as a Cal-Trac type set-up. The Cal-Trac bars are the top of the heap for bolt on leaf spring traction aids IMO.

I have Slide-A-Links on my stang, very similar to the Cal-Trac, i have NEVER had any wheel-hop ever. It will blaze the street tires and will pull the front tires with the slicks on.

John

Yep - go with Cal-Tracs... I have them and they work great. I can spin the hell out of drag radials but they do hook up... Like John, a 4k dump off can pull the left tire off the ground.

They come with two different front plates. One has two holes and the other race version has only the one "upper" hole so it's a bit smaller and tucks up nicer but also makes it more aggressive. I went with the single hole front plate...

[/url]http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/114_1420?full=1

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/114_1422?full=1

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/114_1417?full=1

Edited by coz