Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

no instrument lights on my 69

Hey Matt, am trying to help you advance your "lights out" situation and am ignoring the instruments for now. You said above that you have 12V going to the courtesy lights but the bulbs were blown. Do I have this right? Were you referring to the courtesy lights operated by the headlamp switch or lights like your dome and door lights (operated from other switches)?

Assuming the former, this would imply your headlamp switch is working for that circuit. If I've misunderstood your post about the bulbs being blown, let me know.

Have you tried replacing one of those courtesy lamp bulbs yet? The fact they are all blown is curious indeed. This would make me wonder if some kind of power surge or short occurred at some point and the fuse panel didn't do its job. But with a fuse in place you are reading 12V so that's a good thing.

I don't have the wiring diagram for the main dash connector handy, but one of those wires supplies 12V to the instrument lights. Since it sounds like you're adept with your meter, I'd try to locate that wire and test for 12V with the headlamp switch in 1st position (ignition off). If you're getting power at the connector, I'd stop suspecting the headlamp switch and start suspecting other stuff:

* Dash bulbs (unlikey they'd all be blown, but your courtesy lights were)

Pull one and test for continuity with your meter. If you have a 12V source (extra battery), try lighting those babies up.

If your bulbs are good, I'd start to suspect the printed circuit ribbon or a bad connection between the ribbon and your bulb sockets (they just kind of "screw in" to form a connection to the ribbon).

Anyway, it sound like you're making some progress. I'd recommend getting a wiring diagram for the main connector to your dash and homing in on each circuit. This should really pay dividends when you know which circuit has power and which does not.

Tom

Hey Matt, am trying to help you advance your "lights out" situation and am ignoring the instruments for now. You said above that you have 12V going to the courtesy lights but the bulbs were blown. Do I have this right? Were you referring to the courtesy lights operated by the headlamp switch or lights like your dome and door lights (operated from other switches)?

Assuming the former, this would imply your headlamp switch is working for that circuit. If I've misunderstood your post about the bulbs being blown, let me know.

Have you tried replacing one of those courtesy lamp bulbs yet? The fact they are all blown is curious indeed. This would make me wonder if some kind of power surge or short occurred at some point and the fuse panel didn't do its job. But with a fuse in place you are reading 12V so that's a good thing.

I don't have the wiring diagram for the main dash connector handy, but one of those wires supplies 12V to the instrument lights. Since it sounds like you're adept with your meter, I'd try to locate that wire and test for 12V with the headlamp switch in 1st position (ignition off). If you're getting power at the connector, I'd stop suspecting the headlamp switch and start suspecting other stuff:

* Dash bulbs (unlikey they'd all be blown, but your courtesy lights were)

Pull one and test for continuity with your meter. If you have a 12V source (extra battery), try lighting those babies up.

If your bulbs are good, I'd start to suspect the printed circuit ribbon or a bad connection between the ribbon and your bulb sockets (they just kind of "screw in" to form a connection to the ribbon).

Anyway, it sound like you're making some progress. I'd recommend getting a wiring diagram for the main connector to your dash and homing in on each circuit. This should really pay dividends when you know which circuit has power and which does not.

Tom