Well, knowing my luck, there would be many other things that would deter, distract, and otherwise slow down progress. Probably remove some items and see other things that need also to be replaced. I don't remember if Painless had instructions on their site (probably do) but I do know Mustang Monthly has good stuff complete with pics for novices. Thanks for the info.

Well, knowing my luck, there would be many other things that would deter, distract, and otherwise slow down progress. Probably remove some items and see other things that need also to be replaced. I don't remember if Painless had instructions on their site (probably do) but I do know Mustang Monthly has good stuff complete with pics for novices. Thanks for the info.

You can get the instructions off the Painless site for sure. My biggest problem was the hookup for the alternator. Had to call them for help. Helpful tech guys!! Instructions have way better pictures than Mustang Monthly by far. You're only getting a snippet of the pictures from MM than the instructions have. As for doing in it pieces with the old & new - not going to happen because basically where you're pulling the old wires from is were the new wires go. The hardest part is the little rubber grommet that goes on the firewall. I'm ashamed to say how long it took me to get that one piece on.

Can it be done it a long weekend with an experienced electrician - definitely. Took me a heck of a lot longer though. The wiring was the most rewarding job I've done to my '69 and I replaced the drum brakes on all 4 corners with disc brakes, booster & all new brake lines. Everything with no prior experience. Another thing that slowed me down was I had many wires for items that I did not have like dome light & radio. I just had to go buy the dome light & plan out the radio I wanted then. Still planning on the AC, trunk light, clock in the future!!!

Have fun.

Edited by louie69
Forgot some stuff

You can get the instructions off the Painless site for sure. My biggest problem was the hookup for the alternator. Had to call them for help. Helpful tech guys!! Instructions have way better pictures than Mustang Monthly by far. You're only getting a snippet of the pictures from MM than the instructions have. As for doing in it pieces with the old & new - not going to happen because basically where you're pulling the old wires from is were the new wires go. The hardest part is the little rubber grommet that goes on the firewall. I'm ashamed to say how long it took me to get that one piece on.

Can it be done it a long weekend with an experienced electrician - definitely. Took me a heck of a lot longer though. The wiring was the most rewarding job I've done to my '69 and I replaced the drum brakes on all 4 corners with disc brakes, booster & all new brake lines. Everything with no prior experience. Another thing that slowed me down was I had many wires for items that I did not have like dome light & radio. I just had to go buy the dome light & plan out the radio I wanted then. Still planning on the AC, trunk light, clock in the future!!!

Have fun.

Edited by louie69
Forgot some stuff

HAha I thought i was going to have a problem getting it with my wife but suprisingly.... She said sure. I just explained that i needed it and would go without other parts for a while.... I was sure she wasnt going to let me get mine lol.

Anyways im still in the process of getting mine installed. I got most of the engine bay stuff done. A couple things to remember when pulling out the old harness do not throw anything away. You will need to reuse you old connecters like your ignition swith headlight switch and so on. Another good idea is since your going to have your trim pieces out you might as well paint them all and get it looking good. after I finish my harness im also going to put in new carpet headliner dash pad and paint all my interior pieces.....

I would remove the drivers seat and dash pad before starting the install. If I'm not mistaken I think the instructions ask you to remove the dash any way. I would remove the drivers side rear panel (you'll be fishing the rear wires past here), figure out a way to get the dome light wire to the dome light without removing the headliner (I used a wire hanger - worked great).

All done, went with the Painless and I really liked it. Pretty easy to install, ran into a few quirks and issues you might find with a 41 year old car. Biggest headaches came under the dash and knowing what to do at the coil with points. Definitely need a ballast resistor! I'd recommend using Painless as every wire is clearly marked and they give you plenty of hardware. If you use sequential tail lights you will need an extension from the plug to the circuit board. Other than that, they give you all that you may need.

I have a completely stripped car right now, meaning no interior, no fuel tank, no drivetrain. Would this be a good time to do the wiring or should some items be in place first? I guess what I am asking is: Using the painless kit and the instructions alone, would it be feasible to determine where the wires should be routed without having any components in the car?

I have the harness that came with the car, but it was already removed and put in a box prior to my purchase, so I'm not sure how much of a "guide" it will be. It looks rather "aged" too so I'm not looking to use it.

Edited by DRASTiK

Drastic, I would paint it all first but yes now's the time to wire. Main harness at least... I wouldnt route and latch down everything say forward of the firewall until then drivetrain is in, etc but under the dash, through the firewall and back to the trunk for sure while everything is out... oh and dont forget the dome light wiring before the headliner!