Sign in to follow this  
Voxman

Exterior Options

I am at the phase of restoring the 69 Coupe (code name Colorado Blue) that I am wondering about finish options.

I've seen stripes on the bottom of the frame, on the top, metal strips on the side, etc...

It's a fairly stock Coupe w/ a 302, 4V, Edelbrock 289 Manifold, & Headers. A real sleeper. She'll scream. I do not want to pretend to be a Mach or a Boss by any means but I want a killer scheme to impress without pretending to be something else.

The attached pic is what I envision it could be close to when finished ~ Comments & suggestions welcome.

Hey Vox, exterior paint is one of those super subjective areas and you'll get as many opinions as there are options. The big decision is whether you're trying to "restore" this coupe (staying true to stock) or do what is referred to as a "restomod" where you change what you want and damn the torpedoes.

Are you going to stay with the Winter Blue color scheme (per your door codes) and the Blue interior?

Your car has side molding...are you going to keep that? In my opinion, the side molding gives it a more "tame" look.

The Mach 1 "blacked out" hood looks cool, but w/out a scoop that may not be as punchy. The "GT stripes" along the bottom look cool too. The pic you included has the 70 style Mach stripes and GT stripes (as I recall).

My boy decided to go with Shelby stripes on his 69 coupe. We'd just seen "I am Legend" and that sealed the deal. Stripes along the hood, roof, trunk, and valances.

No stripes look good...understated and clean.

See? I have managed to play all sides of the fence. Good luck.

Tom

Vox said it was a picture of what he could "envision" for his blue coupe (he posted pictures a while ago and they don't resemble that finished coupe).

I think jkskinsfan just misunderstood Vox's post. If Vox's car looked like the one in his "envision" picture, he'd be crazy to mess with it.

Vox said it was a picture of what he could "envision" for his blue coupe (he posted pictures a while ago and they don't resemble that finished coupe).

I think jkskinsfan just misunderstood Vox's post. If Vox's car looked like the one in his "envision" picture, he'd be crazy to mess with it.

I did indeed misunderstand, Tom. But I stand by my comments. The 69's are beautiful cars and if it were me I wouldn't go too crazy with the Mods. Leave it a "Wolf In Sheep's Clothing".

Like everyone else said I wouldn't go crazy on this with a wide body kit or anything. But I like the sport style mirrors or even the bullet Shelby mirrors would look cool. Also its allot of little things as well like Shelby rear trunk with the 2" spoiler tinted windows one thing that I saw Chip Fuse do was a two tone black and gray separated with a red pinstriped looked sick as hell. Just little things make a huge difference.

My 2 cents, no one is going to acuse you of pretending to be a mach or boss by borrowing some of their wilder schemes. It's one thing to make an exact clone or tribute car, it's another thing entirely to pay homage to period correct details on a different body style. If someone thought you actually had a mach or boss coupe then they don't know Mustangs at all.

Any car deserves a black out hood if they want, it's not just fashion, it's function. Add a rocker stripe if you like or a mid body stripe or reverse c stripe just don't say GT, Mach or Boss anywhere on the car.

My 2 cents, no one is going to acuse you of pretending to be a mach or boss by borrowing some of their wilder schemes. It's one thing to make an exact clone or tribute car, it's another thing entirely to pay homage to period correct details on a different body style. If someone thought you actually had a mach or boss coupe then they don't know Mustangs at all.

Any car deserves a black out hood if they want, it's not just fashion, it's function. Add a rocker stripe if you like or a mid body stripe or reverse c stripe just don't say GT, Mach or Boss anywhere on the car.

Good advice and exactly my mind set - I want to present a great example of a nicely appointed coupe that is eye catching and definitely not 'Grandpa's Mustang'.

Although...it will be Grandpa's Mustang...:shifty:

Just don't try me, kid...

Good advice and exactly my mind set - I want to present a great example of a nicely appointed coupe that is eye catching and definitely not 'Grandpa's Mustang'.

Voxman, Your vision is one that anyone would like!! The car doesn't look mean or mild, it looks great!!! I'm also in the process of restoring a 69', and all of the members picts as well as advice will go a long way in helping me. Good Luck!! Can't wait till you post the finished product.

I actually personally LOVE that look, I am going to try to beg a friend to photoshop my car literally the same way (Lime Gold and with both the green or black stripes, and possibly leaving the scoop the lime gold).

I thought about writing 302 or COHN (my last name.. cause it will one day be like Shelby / Roush / Saleen lol)

But that is BEAUTIFUL in my opinion!