Sign in to follow this  
PROJECT222

C4 / fmx swap

Hey all - I'm switching out my c4 and going with an FMX transmission in my 69. My question:

My car came stock with the c4 and and an 8" rear, since I'm swapping to the FMX what kind of issues am I going to run into with my drive shaft? I'm assuming I'll have to change the yoke, but will the drive shaft be longer / shorter?? or the same?

http://project222.wordpress.com/

Edited by PROJECT222
Added blog addy

Why would you prefer the FMX? From what I have heard the C4 shifts cleaner is lighter and can handle the same power output. I need to decide which to use myself.

The FMX may have a longer tailshaft than the C4. I happen to have both in my basement including the driveshafts and 3rd member from each though the fmx was paired with a 9 inch. I could do a few measurements if you like.

Im pretty sure your Cross member has to be different to go from a C4 to FMX, but if your going from and FMX to C6 they are the same...I am going from FMX to C6 with gear vendors OD I hope.

If you need I can measure the Driveshaft I have that was in my car with the FMX and 8" Rear.

If your niterested I would sale ya the Driveshaft and give you the FMX if you wanted to ship it, i just need to get it out of the garage, it will need a rebuild tho LOL

Mike

Thanks for the replies - I've been on the fence and just need a push in the right direction.

I'm thinking of going from c4 to FMX because of budget reasons.

I bought my 69 in pieces and am in the process of putting it back together and I dont know any of the history of abuse that the c4 that came with the car has had. I have since purchased a nice built and complete 351W but along with the deal came a really nice rebuilt FMX and new torque converter......all fresh. I know the FMX is a bit heavier and will rob a little H.P. - but it's all fresh and should give a positive shift.

And yes the 1st gear ratio is different as well.

I'm definitely interested in driveshafts for sale - offers?

Also - does anyone else know how the shift linkage and neautral safety switch will be different??

All thoughts appreciated -

Corey

http://project222.wordpress.com/

Mike - yes I'm interested in selling the c4 - I'm located in NY. It's condition looks fine from the outside and was attached to an Inline a 1969 250 six. I cant imagine that it's seen a whole lot of abuse. If you are still interested let me know and i will pull the pan and send pics.

Thanks

Corey

project222.wordpress.com

The FMX driveshaft is 5/8" longer I believe. You will need a different trans mount. The FMX will handle more hp then a bone stock C4 which isnt very stout (400-425hp for the FMX and 325-350 for the C4). My old, worn out FMX shifted silky smooth. They are nice transmissions that can handle a decent amount of power, but they are heavy and have a little more parasitic loss in comparison to the C4.