Sign in to follow this  
408-stroker-stang

Ignition problem?

Ok here is my deal i have a msd ignition system on my car and after i drive it a little while the car loses some power and acts like it is running on about 4 cylinders or it also did the same thing after i drove it for about 10 minutes a buddy of mine got in with me and i was gassing on it showing off and after i went through the gears it started the same thing again I babied it to where i was going and let it sit while i ate lunch, went out and it cranked fine so i didn't get on it or anything just drove it normal, however when i started going up a pretty good hill i gave it a little more gas and it started acting like it was trying to cut out on me when i let off of the gas it went back to acting right. I am pretty sure i have good wiring to the msd box and from it I just installed a painless wiring kit. I am thinking i may have to get a high output altenator but not sure what do yall think?

Ok here is my deal i have a msd ignition system on my car and after i drive it a little while the car loses some power and acts like it is running on about 4 cylinders or it also did the same thing after i drove it for about 10 minutes a buddy of mine got in with me and i was gassing on it showing off and after i went through the gears it started the same thing again I babied it to where i was going and let it sit while i ate lunch, went out and it cranked fine so i didn't get on it or anything just drove it normal, however when i started going up a pretty good hill i gave it a little more gas and it started acting like it was trying to cut out on me when i let off of the gas it went back to acting right. I am pretty sure i have good wiring to the msd box and from it I just installed a painless wiring kit. I am thinking i may have to get a high output altenator but not sure what do yall think?

Can you try to clarify the behavior? Are you saying that you can get all over it for some period of time and -- after some time passes -- it starts to do the 4-cylinder impression under load? This would be kind of strange. Would expect that it runs poorly all the time under a certain circumstance.

A great diagnostic is to attach a vacuum gauge and run the tube outside of your hood so you can see it when you're driving. When the engine runs poorly, note the vacuum reading just before the badness. See if it's consistent in the reading. This would help pinpoint the problem.

Can you try to clarify the behavior? Are you saying that you can get all over it for some period of time and -- after some time passes -- it starts to do the 4-cylinder impression under load? This would be kind of strange. Would expect that it runs poorly all the time under a certain circumstance.

A great diagnostic is to attach a vacuum gauge and run the tube outside of your hood so you can see it when you're driving. When the engine runs poorly, note the vacuum reading just before the badness. See if it's consistent in the reading. This would help pinpoint the problem.