Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Victory at Last - Brake switch

Hello All,

I did it - the darn brake light switch is in and working no less LOL

I wanted to let people know that it finally went in.

So many people helped me I would like to thank several.

Tom thanks for the picture and kind words

PakRat - Thanks for the offer to help

Mach1rider - - I think your post probably helped the most. I read it over about a dozen times and let it sink in.

I really think the trick to this was to put the bushing in the master cylinder rod, then slide the rod to the end of the shaft. Once I did this, I put the U up and slid the hole unit over towards the pedal arm.

Not sure if I expressed myself well but that is what I did.

I think one of the main reason I had so much trouble was the fact that I was not installing the bushing all the way into the master rod. I was pulling the rod to the end of the bushing rather than inserting the bushing all the way and then sliding the unit.

So I wanted to update the forum and thank everyone that helped.

Even Angel - your post motivated me to do this.

So if anyone ever needs a stop light switch replaced in under 9 hours - I'm your guy - - LOL

I am really happy with this and can now move to more projects, Hopefully I

will have smoother sailing on some of them.

Lastly - -even though I have a shop manual and was following it - I think the real trick is to insert the bushing all the way into the Master Cyl rod, then when you put the "U" up, it can and will slide. With out the bushing fully inserted, I think the "U" gets hung up.

Thanks - - Thanks -- Thanks - - - Jim (P. Dad)

Hello All,

I did it - the darn brake light switch is in and working no less LOL

I wanted to let people know that it finally went in.

So many people helped me I would like to thank several.

Tom thanks for the picture and kind words

PakRat - Thanks for the offer to help

Mach1rider - - I think your post probably helped the most. I read it over about a dozen times and let it sink in.

I really think the trick to this was to put the bushing in the master cylinder rod, then slide the rod to the end of the shaft. Once I did this, I put the U up and slid the hole unit over towards the pedal arm.

Not sure if I expressed myself well but that is what I did.

I think one of the main reason I had so much trouble was the fact that I was not installing the bushing all the way into the master rod. I was pulling the rod to the end of the bushing rather than inserting the bushing all the way and then sliding the unit.

So I wanted to update the forum and thank everyone that helped.

Even Angel - your post motivated me to do this.

So if anyone ever needs a stop light switch replaced in under 9 hours - I'm your guy - - LOL

I am really happy with this and can now move to more projects, Hopefully I

will have smoother sailing on some of them.

Lastly - -even though I have a shop manual and was following it - I think the real trick is to insert the bushing all the way into the Master Cyl rod, then when you put the "U" up, it can and will slide. With out the bushing fully inserted, I think the "U" gets hung up.

Thanks - - Thanks -- Thanks - - - Jim (P. Dad)

Yeah, way to stick with it, PD. I think most of us would agree we don't do this stuff because it's easy...we do it because it *is* hard (and rewarding and sometimes fun).

I often slip into frustration and start to wonder if it's worth the time and energy, but when you finally do solve that problem, DAMN it feels good, don't it?

Whatever our motivation, we're all beating back 41 years or so of entropy getting these classic rides back on the road. This stuff is hard, but everyone know these cars have SOUL and deserve our efforts.

Waxing philosophical,

Tom

Yeah, way to stick with it, PD. I think most of us would agree we don't do this stuff because it's easy...we do it because it *is* hard (and rewarding and sometimes fun).

I often slip into frustration and start to wonder if it's worth the time and energy, but when you finally do solve that problem, DAMN it feels good, don't it?

Whatever our motivation, we're all beating back 41 years or so of entropy getting these classic rides back on the road. This stuff is hard, but everyone know these cars have SOUL and deserve our efforts.

Waxing philosophical,

Tom

Angel,

I hope you understand that I meant that in a good way.

I figured if you could do it in 15 minutes it can't be all that omplicated and

I should be able to do it in under 8-9 hours LOL

So in a weird way, you inspired me to just get it done.

I hope you can understand that you did help. I may have blessed you once or twice but it did help push me.

Be well, be warm and I'm sure we'll talk again.

Thanks from the old dude - P. Dad

Angel,

I hope you understand that I meant that in a good way.

I figured if you could do it in 15 minutes it can't be all that omplicated and

I should be able to do it in under 8-9 hours LOL

So in a weird way, you inspired me to just get it done.

I hope you can understand that you did help. I may have blessed you once or twice but it did help push me.

Be well, be warm and I'm sure we'll talk again.

Thanks from the old dude - P. Dad

Haha! I was just kidding Print dad. I love sarcasm.

"...perhaps if I was younger, skinnier and more mechanically inclined I could do this as a simple task..."

I just happen to fall in to the younger(22), skinnier(155), and more mechanically inclined(ASE certified) range:biggrin: