Sign in to follow this  
helrazr70

Yet another '69 fastback project

It is a '69 Fastback. It came equipped with P/S, A/C, Power Drum Brakes, H code 351W 2V, FMX trans, and 3.00:1 open 9" rear end. It also came with a Mach 1 style hood scoop and blue standard interior.

I picked this car up in May of 2009. I had known of it's existence for several years but never saw it. I told the owner that if he ever sold it I would buy it if the price were right. He told me it was rough but he would would be fair on the price. He is a car dealer and the car has been at his home under a tree and he never lets anyone except family come to his house due to the nature of his business. I am a friend of his son and have known them for years. I had waited since 2003 to see this car!

The car was purchased from a customer in 1991. The car lot owner didn't like the faded Winter Blue paint so he sent it out to be stripped to metal and repainted white in September of 1991. There were dents in the roof so he had a vinyl top installed to cut corners. Once painted it was driven from the paint shop to his house. He planned to drive it to the lot to put it up for sale but it didn't start. He tinkered with it until he gave up. It got pushed under a tree where is sat until May of 2009.

When I got it the body was in sad shape. The body was covered in lichens and mold. The vinyl roof seams had split and the roof was completely eaten out. The upper rear 1/4s in the sail panel area were eaten out as well. The front floors looked like most do and the rear edges of the front torque boxes are rotten. The floor supports aren't bad at all but will be replaced. It has poor weld repairs on a cracked driver side shock tower and the door shells both had the lower corners rusted out as well as holes in the skins. The hood, fenders, trunk lid, and upper doors had serious pitted surface rust. (none penetrating)

So far I have cleaned up the car and gotten it running. The freeze/core plugs rusted and leak water so I didn't run it long. I had to break 2 of the brake drums to get it to roll and the brake lines are probably rusty on the inside so I have not tried to drop it in gear.

I have begun replacing the roof, rear 1/4s and doors with Dynacorn repro parts. So far the part quality is good. I have not welded them on yet. I have only hung them in place. I am attaching them for now with sheetmetal screws and welding them on later after I move it to PA. (2 weeks from now)

I will post progress updates as I go. I am only an amateur restorer. I have completed one '69 Mustang in the past but had to sell it due to financial issues. I famred the paint and body out but did the rest myself. This one will be more challenging!

Edited by helrazr70