Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

69 Mach with no title or dash VIN

Run Forrest Run...... parts only.

In NC when you move an out of state "classic" into NC and register it they can and will now strip the car to make sure the title, car, VIN tag, etc. all match.

BTW - you pay per hr for them to dissect your new toy.

Well, it depends on the state, I know here in WA the State Patrol will issue you "Registration in Doubt" and you can register the car for three years. If no one steps forward in those three years to claim the car, they give you a title at the end.

I have to do that with my '69, even though my Grandfather was the owner. He doesn't have the title, and they can't do a lost title search more than six years back, and mine was last registered over 20 years ago...

Every year you are hearing more and more stories how "stolen cars are being reunited" after 30+ years.

First there was the Mustang in Ca, a 65.........

Then I heard of a Mopar from NC found in Oklahoma after 30 yrs...............

Here is a link to a 40 yr old stolen vette that was reunited with original owner

http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/wztv_vid_2300.shtml

Last thing I would want to do is rebuild a car and find out it was stolen and worse yet being then having to give it up - aka Buyer Beware!

My plan is to go get a close look at the parts on the car and those that are in boxes and make an assesment of the value. I will make him an offer based on that, if I get the title it will be a bonus. Hopefully it won't be a horror story like the corvette. 2 Mustangs in 2 weeks, I think I'm sick. I have 12 garage stalls, my car trailer and 1 parts car has to sit outside. I need help, or maybe just a bigger barn.

I looked at the car this morning, it is pretty decent shape. I saw a old rear sway bar in the car and it got me thinking. I came home and ordered a Marti report, turned out it is not a Mach but it is a GT with a M code/4speed. I talked with the State Police and the car is not stolen, the car is coming home with me tomorrow am. Merry Xmas to me.

wow! nice find! post some pics when you can!:biggrin:

I looked at the car this morning, it is pretty decent shape. I saw a old rear sway bar in the car and it got me thinking. I came home and ordered a Marti report, turned out it is not a Mach but it is a GT with a M code/4speed. I talked with the State Police and the car is not stolen, the car is coming home with me tomorrow am. Merry Xmas to me.

wow! nice find! post some pics when you can!:biggrin:

The insanity continues. I live in a 3 county area that consists of about 2.5 million people. On the way home from picking up the car I wanted some coffee, I passed 7-10 espresso stands on the way home, a 45 minute drive. I finally stopped, the guy in the other drive thru window started telling me about the car, he knew it was GT and had 1 blue door and 1 silver jade door. He calls his buddy on the phone who used to own it, who now lives in Arizona and he beleives the car is still in his name. We exchanged information and plan to meet at the Barrett Jackson auction in January. I am buying lottery tickets today.

I will post pics this weekend. Not much to look at though.

WOW!!! buy several lottery tickets... unreal!!:scared:

The insanity continues. I live in a 3 county area that consists of about 2.5 million people. On the way home from picking up the car I wanted some coffee, I passed 7-10 espresso stands on the way home, a 45 minute drive. I finally stopped, the guy in the other drive thru window started telling me about the car, he knew it was GT and had 1 blue door and 1 silver jade door. He calls his buddy on the phone who used to own it, who now lives in Arizona and he beleives the car is still in his name. We exchanged information and plan to meet at the Barrett Jackson auction in January. I am buying lottery tickets today.

I will post pics this weekend. Not much to look at though.

According to the owner from several years ago (Espresso stand guy) it was missing when he bought it. I am bothered by it being missing although the VIN's on the fender aprons are rock solid. The front end has not been scabbed onto another body and the police have no record of the VIN. Maybe it was removed to preserve it during sand blasting or something, I don't have a clue why someone would remove it other than to sell the title.

Edited by very fat and very dumb