Sign in to follow this  
flight96

How Often Should I Run The New Motor ?

Hey all,

I have a question about running a new engine during the winter. The motor has only 250 miles on it. Its now in the garage for the winter. I've been starting it once every 2 weeks or so, and running it until it reaches running temp. Should I be starting it more or less ? I don't want to screw up the new motor.

Thanks !

Ken

B&DIMH

:thumbup: I think your doing great. You don't want to moth ball it unless you back off the rockers and drain the fuel tank and lines. So what your doing is keeping everything stable including seals in working order! Thats what I do to ours and one of the engines is used.

Even though you probably broke your cam and rings in proper I don't consider it a good idea to let a engine that new just idle, add to the fact if your choke is working right you're running rich and it's just not a good situation. if you want to start it cold and not drive it I would get it running and after a short warm up get the rpm up to at least 1700-1800 and keep it from just running at idle for extended time.

Even though you probably broke your cam and rings in proper I don't consider it a good idea to let a engine that new just idle, add to the fact if your choke is working right you're running rich and it's just not a good situation.

What would/could happen to the engine? I've got less than 15 driven miles on my motor and I've been starting it weekly and getting it to operating temp for the winter. With snow/salt on the ground i can't drive it. Am i hurting the motor??

Also, i have a roller cam.

If you're running rollers that takes care of most of your problems, still if your rings aren't seated fully a rich mix and not much oil like a cold idle would give you isn't great.

My main concern would be the cam on a new engine, but that's not a problem in your case.

If you're running rollers that takes care of most of your problems, still if your rings aren't seated fully a rich mix and not much oil like a cold idle would give you isn't great.

My main concern would be the cam on a new engine, but that's not a problem in your case.

Phew! You scared me! I wish i could drive her more, damn winter!

I would just turn it over by hand (well by breaker bar anyway) maybe once a month. I might start it once on an unseasonably warm day. As others have indicated, idling or richness will just wash the cylinders with gas which is worse than just leaving them dry. The biggest enemy in storage by the way is temp. change as it leaves condensation on bare metal.

So maybe I will just run up the oil pump once a week with a drill, just to keep everything oiled. As for temp change, the car is in my heated garage. There is not a huge change in temp. but it is fairly cool in there.